Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: n. peter d amato

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...In the cp world it's all about WHO you know!...
    That's the fact, Jack! Er, Phil!
    And glad to know you and the handful of other 'real' growers here.

'Real" however, as in not just knowing 'who',
    for indeed the "WHO" to know are made up of those who also know the "WHAT"...
    and they help bring out the best of this "hobby"... for all of us.

[Confused? Good! Now go back and play with your plants! Can't you see that those of you who think you know everything are annoying those who do!]

All kidding aside, it is so nice for once to actually hear what is really going on, instead of just what people think is going on! But then that's the thing about opinions, everyone has one! Not just the people who know what they are talking about! It is amazing how many people try to learn things by asking for opinions instead of actually taking the time to learn!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philcula View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news Lois, but you're quite wrong. You see...in the cp world it's all about WHO you know, and I know Bill Baumgartle VERY, VERY well. So well in fact that he himself visited my nursery one day some 10 or more years ago and gave me a cutting from the original 'PDA' stock plant. Peter D'Amato received a CUTTING of the PDA plant...not the ONLY plant in existence. Bill also gifted me a cutting of the clone "Atlanta Giant", also a female, which is an unregistered CLONE of the GREX x Briggsiana..grown from the same seed batch where 'PDA' was produced and the largest pitchered form of that grex. Picture a PDA type plant with pitchers a foot tall!!

'PDA' is the registered cultivar from the grex xBriggsiana. Although there may be look-a-likes out there, my plant is the original...cut from the same plant where Peter got his, grown from seed provided by Johanes Mirabini and grown out by Dr. William Baumgartle who registered it.

Alex - You received the AUTHENTIC PDA from me..as did anyone else who you have passed it on to. You can also rest assured that ANY plant material you or anyone EVER receives from me is meticulously and correctly id'd. I'm quite OCD in that area.

good to know he has the real deal......my doubts sprung from watching what mine does when a tendril happens to hide a pitcher somewhere away from light....i find it real interesting that it will produce the near solid green pitchers when mine always does a red blush even when hidden......must be some difference between sun grown and my basement grown plant...

srduggins.....i'ld take that clone 6 in a heart beat
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler - I think it has something to do with flourescent lighting. My pings, for instance, will turn solid red/fuschia under artificial lights..but not nearly so much under equally bright conditions in the greenhouse. Also, I've noticed that greenhouses glazed in rigid polycarbonate panels will also produce excessivly pigmented plants as opposed to those covered in rolled plastic film.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there Phil
    Thanx for the clarification I wasn't aware what had gone on behind the scenes Jest know the partial truths that I was told
    Yep it is in who you know Guess I don't know the right people yet
    I'll jest keep trying to find them and get my facts straight.

Phil
    i really was entranced by your brief dicussion with me about growing sars when we were at the BACPs sale Sure would like to learn more from you. BTW I am not into hybridizing any more
    Jest propagation
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    philcula, thanks for the info on PDA,
    ill post some pics if and when i have some new pitchers on my new "nepenthes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you Phil for chiming in on this matter. i was hoping you would.

Jimmy: be sure to update the progress of both plants. they are gonna grow great!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    peter has now slowed at the tip and is now producing two new basals at the base, noe fron under the media and one just up the stem a bit , hope they both make it , it should be pretty nice by next season, any one know if the basals will produce too many pitchers or drain the main plant or should they be divided at some point. any advise should i just let it make a massive plant is there any downfall to having a giant nep. would love have this one go wild if it will for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let 'em grow! Keep it bushy, or you'll just have a sparse, woody stem down there.

Anyway, I have both the PDA and the Atlanta Giant clone, as well as another sibling which is male. In all three of them, they get greener pitchers as they make uppers, and the lower pitchers are redder. And I gotta be honest, the longer I have them, the more they all start to look alike. But that's not a bad thing - they are all awesome looking and great plants. Any one of them is worth a similar amount, I'd say. They're all pretty rare.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Just for the heck of it, I went down and took pics of all three.

First, Peter D'Amato. This is the smallest of my plants and the pitcher with the most "lower" influence (though it's still an upper):

Next is the Atlanta Giant, the middle sized plant:

And here is the male sibling, apparently from the same seed batch. This is the largest of the plants and a true full upper:

All of them grow vigorously and the foliage looks pretty much the same.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast