User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How might my Neps take to my room lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @joe: your growspace is INSANE! O.o
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. That's the bedroom from my old place. It's not quite so wild looking now, especially since I let that rat's nest of Deroose's Alata die back to basals. The N. sanguinea is about 5 1/2 feet tall and putting on its first uppers though.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    takes the plant 5 and a half feet tall to produce uppers!?
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could probably find some clip lamp reflectors at Goodwill after my vacation for pretty cheap, they ALWAYS have some. I'll shop around for bulbs like those you linked to as well, and hopefully my bigger Neps will like those.
    I just mounted my T12 fixture under my desk shelf for when my young Neps arrive after I get back. The Neps (Lowii and a "Queen of Hearts x King of Spades") will be about 5 1/2 inches from the lights, is that too close? I'll have some Drosera under the lights as well.

As of now I have 3 Neps, mirabilis x bical (in my terrarium), ventricosa x DeRoose alata, and ventricosa (both in the window). I'm going to cut back on buying any more for a while though, once the two I ordered get here.

That really is an amazing little jungle you have there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never gotten a Nepenthes to pitcher or live just off of a window in my house before. However that could have something to do with the fact that my house is about as opposite of a Nepenthes nursery as you can get. We get 13.5 feet of rain annually. So actual sun is a real rarity and the winter days become very short. Also wood heat does not help out the house's ambient humidity!

Regardless, it all depends on the species you are growing. I've never tried some hybrids between the more vigorous basic species, that might work and it probably would for you too. However I would not try to grow a 25 dollar truncata QOH X KOS on a dreary window, just in case...

I think if you had a hardy enough specie or hybrid your window could be a perfectly fine place to grow a nep.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I've never gotten a Nepenthes to pitcher or live just off of a window in my house before. However that could have something to do with the fact that my house is about as opposite of a Nepenthes nursery as you can get. We get 13.5 feet of rain annually. So actual sun is a real rarity and the winter days become very short. Also wood heat does not help out the house's ambient humidity!

Regardless, it all depends on the species you are growing. I've never tried some hybrids between the more vigorous basic species, that might work and it probably would for you too. However I would not try to grow a 25 dollar truncata QOH X KOS on a dreary window, just in case...
    Yea, definitely growing the QOH x KOS under lights, as well as my lowii. Those will fit in the area I'm able to easily put lights right now. I'll work something out for my larger Neps before winter rolls in though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12