What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

superthrive for neps?

• Thread starter Zhilin
  • Start date
Does any one try the superthrive to water neps? How's the effect? And, what's the effect if using the superthrive to water ceps, helis and sarrs? And what's the concentration you used?

Thanks
Zhilin

I have done it. I use it in the dip when transplanting. 1 drop (Yes I mean one drop) to a gallon. Other then that I don't really water with it.

I used to use it for neps, but I don't anymore. I'm not convinced it does anything. However, I know it has its defenders.

-Hermes.

Thanks for the reply. Based on you guy's commends and my research on the forum, I guess I'd better not use it in regular watering.

I have only used Superthrive for transplanting bare-rooted plants, since Vitamin B-1 has been proven beneficial in overcoming transplant shock (ignore the myriad idiotic label claims promoting "wellness" or "goodness" or some-such gibberish); and I continue to use it because I have had that same bottle gathering dust for over five years.

At five drops per gallon, it goes a long way . . .

I use it all the time. Every watering and every misting. It does wonders for all of my CP's. It has saved a ton of my neps from death. It even makes my Neps grow 2 times as fast. I always notice 2 weeks worth of growth in 1 week thanks to this awesome stuff. This stuff never fails me.
Its even making my Veitchii and Truncata hybrids grow fast, which are otherwise normally very very slow growers.

Also, if your watering a bunch of plants, I would use more than just 1 drop per gallon. Since I have a bunch of neps and dews, etc.... I use like up to 6 to 8 drops per gallon so all the plants get a good dose of the Superthrive. Remember, its all about making sure each plant gets a good noticeable dose of the superthrive when using it each time. 1 drop a gallon wont cut it for alot of plants.

Also, I use it more than 1 time a day on my plants. I only water the plants 1 time a day usually for their roots, but I always mist them like 5 and 10 times a day to keep them happy. Like if there in a rain forest where its all wet and rainy with high humidity.

Last edited:
I used to use it every watering, but haven't for a year or so now. Didn't notice any difference.

Thanks, guys. So, generally 5 drops per gallon is safe for watering neps, right?

nightsky: what's your concentration for watering? Maybe less concentration may not make significant difference.

I have used it for years when transplanting orchids to assist in new root growth as i usually prune back the dead roots at the same time. That said, for weeks, too many to remember, I had been trying to root an Amp cutting. I had even at one point cut back the callus and dipped it in rooting hormone, still no luck. Then, two weeks ago I watered it with superthrive. The other day i did a check and found multiple roots of good length spread out over more than an inch of the buried stem.

Tomorrow I will start to use the superthrive on my neps and helis for watering and misting. Let's see what will happen. Nepenthes101 has given strong evidences on the goodness of the superthrive in another thread. So, I have huge expectation on my neps in the near future :)

Added a whole bunch of pics of my plants that always receive the superthrive. They all get the Superthrive by the roots, leaves, and even in the pitchers with no ill effects. Only Awesome results.
Theres lots of nice new Amp red, Ceph Hummers giant and Lowii x Vent red pics in there. And more Tenuis pics. These pics will show you how well this stuff actually works. Its the Best Hands down in my opinion.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124389

I use it but with a lot of caution and here's the reason why:
Once a botanist told me superthrive can cause kind of "adiction" in the plants, and that using it more than once a month could be dangerous in the long term, he exemplified with orchids, he told me that f you stop giving them superthrive once the orchids had got "addicted" they will put out malformed flowers or smaller growth until they die, I don't know if this is true at 100% but I really trust that botanist and he is not against the use of supertrhive, actually he uses it on his plants, he just told me to be careful when using it.

Now, I would be glad to know what do you guys think about this, particularly Nepenthes101, you use superthive a lot! haven't you noticed smaller leaves or malformed growth in your Neps?? For how much time have you been using it?

Regards,
—Abiram—

Ive been using it for a very long time. Quite a few years. Don't remember for how long though, but I always get really huge pitchers that are very colorful and healthy, and the leaves are always nice. I've never noticed any malformed growth due to using the stuff. Only larger and healthier growth. It also makes my pitchers last a bunch longer. I love using it on my Amps as they have very long lasting pitchers on them, and even longer lasting when using superthrive.

Spend money on this at your own risk. It does nothing. There was an article in the ICPS newsletter a while back confirming this. Some people claim that this stuff cures cancer, but until I see results of a controlled experiment I won't believe it.

Back