What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes leaf turning white from base

truncatacole

growingnepenthese.blogspo t.com
Has anyone had leaves turn white from the base before? Its happening simultaneously to some leaves yellowing but I'm pretty sure that is just from shock as I've seriously traumatized this plant lol

Pictures here

That's.....odd, I can't say I've seen that before. :scratch:

I'm afraid I can't help with the leaf damage, I'm sure the plant will recover though it looks sturdy enough.

But I did just read your blog, and in regards to terrariums... I've never grown a Nepenthes successfully without a terrarium. That's not to say that you can't, but they are very valuable to the novice, I think. Especially if you have small plants.

You mentioned mold and bacteria being an issue....

I have not cleaned any of my tanks in 3+ years, and have not lost a plant in three years.

There's nothing wrong with terrariums!

I think I did mention somewhere that they were ok if you felt like you needed one. Maybe in more of the information section. But I've had the exact opposite experience. If I have a terrarium it molds over fast, and all of my plants are happy outside of them. I didn't even both to harden off any of my plants until the last two. It's really dependent on where you live and if you need to really manage temperature or humidity. I did mention that you are more likely to need one if you venture into more exotic/difficult plants, or into lowlands or extreme highland or lowlands. But any beginner shouldn't be starting with those, and the large majority of nepenthes in the intermediate/highland class can make good house plants provided they have enough sunlight. They are remarkably hearty plants and can adjust to lower humidity than they naturally have. The average house temperature happens to fall into the temperature range of a lot of nepenthes as well. Unless you don't use air conditioning in the summer and you have 100+ degree weather, or you keep your house freezing cold in the winter. I guess it comes down to a preference and how much you feel you need to replicate the natural growing environment. I did more reading on the subject after joining the forum here because I see that a lot of members here use them. I found strong opinions on both sides of it so I'm just speaking from my own experiences and the highland and intermediate varieties that I grow have all been very happy outside of terrariums and just sitting in my house... provided I can remember to water them... that's why this one looks a little beat up :)

All that being said, thanks! I'll make a point to make sure that I put it in there that there are many growers that have success with them and that if you have the ability to use one successfully then to by all means use one. Sarracenia Northwest has some good information about growing CP's (neps in particular) outside of terrariums. Once you move into other types of carnivorous plants (like sundews) you are more likely to need to control the humidity levels.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Oh and I chatted with some people in the chat room here about what is happening with this plant. The consensus we came to was that maybe the coconut fiber I used had salt in it so I've given the soil a good flush and we'll see if it improves.

Im not seeing the white parts:blush:,
:poke:can you get a closer shot of what your talking about.
the second picture seems washed out even the potting media looks lighter .
from what im seeing you nep looks a little stressed but it should be ok, with a good drink. Is it extremely dry ? It appears to be .

no thats a day after being watered its actually moist. Yeah my camera was being stupid and not wanting to focus, its the two leaves on the lower left right near the start of the leaf. I'm not too stressed about it, I've traumatized this plant so much I'm just going to leave it alone and hope it recovers :)

Back