What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. clipeata's Peltate Leaves

seriously. gorgeous is correct! thanks so much for the update!

WOW!! I never realized that clipeata had such colorful pitchers!

WOW!! I never realized that clipeata had such colorful pitchers!
Me either. DVG has really shown us the potential beauty of this plant. The colors, patterns, lid shape, pitcher shape, peltate leaves & on & on. After seeing this thread, N. clipeata has been added to my fairly-short list of wanted Neps... :-O

Thanks for all of the kind comments!

The newest pitcher forming, similar in shape to a gourd or perhaps even more appropriately to a stomach.

IMG_2322-N-clipeata-clone3.jpg

A shot of the plant in its 8" pot.

IMG_2331-N-clipeata-clone3.jpg

dvg

Awww yeaaah. Amazing plant! You still growing this thing on your window sill? What a bizarre and crazy species.

Thanks Dex, i'm growing it in the basement under lights now.

I've found that when winter rolls around, the daylight hours are too short with not intense enough light to properly stimulate new pitcher growth on this plant.

On December 21, the sun is at 13 degrees in the sky with 7.5 hours of daylight, compared to about 60 degrees and 17.5 hours for June 21 here.

dvg

Yeah, that's understandable. I can barely grow N. ventricosa on my window sill, I know how you feel!

That really is an amazing species! Yet another one added to my want list!

Wow! So they stay smaller and don't get that wide? I guess I do notice my small ones seriously bending their leaves under...

Wow! So they stay smaller and don't get that wide? I guess I do notice my small ones seriously bending their leaves under...

I find that this one grows very compactly and slowly, but this one is starting to make some larger leaves now, since it was repotted into this larger container.

Growing this plant on a window sill for a year may have contributed to its slowness though, because once i moved it back under the basement lights, it started back to its previous regular growth pattern again.

The leaves are held at an angle to perpendicular, almost like a series of fan blades.

dvg

Growing this plant on a window sill for a year may have contributed to its slowness though, because once i moved it back under the basement lights, it started back to its previous regular growth pattern again.
Any cooler in the basement?

I've always seen this plant listed as lowland and immediately eliminated it from my list. However, after reading this thread last year, I did a bit more research & found that it grows at 600-800 M while N. tenuis grows at 1000 M. After reading about your conditions and knowing that N. tenuis hasn't been fussy - I'm definitely interested in giving this one a shot.

Last year I grew a N. maxima (formerly eymae) on the windowsill and it pitchered there year-round. It's nice to have at least a few non-fussy plants to share my living area...

Any cooler in the basement?

I've always seen this plant listed as lowland and immediately eliminated it from my list. However, after reading this thread last year, I did a bit more research & found that it grows at 600-800 M while N. tenuis grows at 1000 M. After reading about your conditions and knowing that N. tenuis hasn't been fussy - I'm definitely interested in giving this one a shot.

Last year I grew a N. maxima (formerly eymae) on the windowsill and it pitchered there year-round. It's nice to have at least a few non-fussy plants to share my living area...

In the summer it's cooler in the basement, but i'm thinking the lack of intense sunlight and shorter days in the winter really caused this plant to slow down.

This plant seemed to grow fine in the summer, but started to wind down it's growth during the autumn and winter months.

I'm now of the belief that this plant is closer in temperment to an intermediate than it is to a true lowlander.

dvg

Nice thread and beautiful plant dvg.

Thanks Dionae.

N. clipeata unfurling a new leaf - two shots in the shade.

IMG_2974-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-June-29-2012.jpg

IMG_2970-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-June-29-2012-leaf.jpg

Two more in evening sun.

IMG_2951-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-June-29-2012-leaf.jpg

Livin' the Life in an 8" pot.

IMG_2937-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-June-29-2012.jpg
:)

dvg

What an excellent update Doug! I love N. clipeata's leaves so much, its really a shame AW ran out!

I'm insanely taken by and jealous of your glorious clipeata :lol:. I'm going to sit mine next to your pictures as inspiration for when they 'grow up'.

Wow that leaf is shiinnnyyy :drool: incredible plant

Thanks guys! :)

What an excellent update Doug! I love N. clipeata's leaves so much, its really a shame AW ran out!

Daniel, it seems Wistuba has restocked his N. clipeata clones with the exception of his two plants of different clones option, but with our order being shipped out this month, i guess that ship has sailed.

I'll send you a clippy when one of mine next sends out a basal. :)

I'm insanely taken by and jealous of your glorious clipeata :lol:. I'm going to sit mine next to your pictures as inspiration for when they 'grow up'.

Haha Thez, i'm sure with the role models growing out on your balcony, your clippies are in good hands...just bursting at the seams to grow up and discover the progeny of a Higgs-boson particle. ;)

Wow that leaf is shiinnnyyy :drool: incredible plant

Heli, i always look forward to the new leaves on this species, they are shinier and so different from any of the other Nepenthes that i grow. :)

dvg

IMG_9456-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-July-27-2012.jpg

A new leaf under construction,

IMG_9462-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-July-27-2012-1.jpg

while a newly erected pitcher awaits the Grand Opening of the penthouse suite

IMG_9468-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-July-27-2012.jpg

The bugs should be having a real ball

IMG_9473-N-clipeata-clone-3-AW-July-27-2012-1.jpg

at the gala event.

IMG_9482-N-clipeata-pitcher-clone-3-AW-July-27-2012.jpg

dvg

man that is a funky pitcher hahahah very cool!

Back