What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. clipeata's Peltate Leaves

A couple pics from N. clipeata Clone 3. This species is interesting because of it's exaggerated, almost mid-leaf tendril insertion points.

From above, the dimpled insertion points for the tendril under the leaf are clearly visible.

IMG_4181-1.jpg

Meanwhile, on the underside of the leaf, the tendril attaches a fair distance in from the outer leaf margin.

IMG_41871.jpg

Cheers,

dvg

Nice pitcher!

OMG I want my clippies to look like that already!! How old is that plant?

It looks absolutely wonderful; I love the leaves and pitchers and all :awesome:. What mix do you keep it in and how often do you water? I hear they want to be drier, but then other people say you can treat them like everything else so I'm wondering who's right.

Now you've made me regretful for not actually adding one of those to my basket last order!

Thanks for the comments,

Thez Yo, I got this plant two years ago at the end of August 2008.

It is growing in my regular Nep mix, maybe with a few more mineral components in the mix.

This plant with it's leathery leaves, can dry out for weeks at a time.

And I do let it dry out, maybe for longer than is generally recommended, but this plant shows it's resiliency by not showing any signs of stress, at least none that I can see.

This is my only Nep that I grow upstairs in the livingroom as a houseplant. It sits on a small table in front of an unobstructed, sunny, southfacing window.

dvg

Ok, thanks! I got mine a year ago now from AW himself...and I have to say, it's a little bit over 3" in diameter so I guess I'm doing something wrong. Do you fertilize the roots or pitchers with anything special if you don't mind me asking? Mine won't make those lovely peltate leaves yet :-(

here's a sad looking pic of my clone U (click for bigger)..if you don't mind telling me if you see something glaringly wrong with what I'm doing:

Thez, your plant media looks very good.

I've only used coffee for ferting my plants.

Your clip looks very healthy with lots of leaves.

It won't make the peltate leaves right away.

First it will make the type of leaves that your plant is making now.

Then it will make a few notched leaves, with the tendril moving at the base of the 'V' notch gradually further into each successive leaf.

Finally, then you will get the peltate leaves that you are so looking forward to.

And here's the scoop on the Wistuba clipeata clones:

Clone 3 is the fastest grower, followed closely by Clone 2.

Clone U, however is a notoriously slow grower.

But since yours is so healthy looking, just show a bit of patience, keep the faith and it will be there for you soon enough.

But in the meantime, next time you're talking to Mr. Wistuba, ask him to slip a Clone 2 and 3 into your Christmas stocking for you. Ho,Ho,Ho.:jester:

dvg

:-)) Thanks, seriously, I didn't know that because I've never had clippies before and I hadn't heard about their growth rates.

I've got a little clone 3 from him in my last shipment that came a month ago too (clickable again) and that's all the room I have for clippies at the moment:

Well with Clone U being such a slow grower, there is still an air of mystery surrounding it.

Namely, what sex it is going to reveal itself as.

Clones 2 and 3 have both been grown out to flowering size and they both turned out to be male.

Could it possibly be that the coy and demure Clone U is actually keeping us in rapt suspense, while we wait to see if 'she' could be?:hug:

Only time will tell, so stay tuned.;)

dvg

Thanks to Carnivoure12's window sill thread, i've been growing this N. clipeata Clone 3 in a south facing window over the past few months.

A new leaf developing
IMG_60622.jpg

And the newest unopened pitcher, still a bit fuzzy.
IMG_6080-1.jpg

dvg

Wow! Stunning dvg, it is very beautiful, and can't believe how well it seems to be doing on your windowsill.

Thank you for sharing, I'm sure it'll continue to thrive!

Very beautiful plant, dvg. What sort of temps/conditions is it getting in your window?

Amazing as always. Any wisdom to share about Wistuba's mixed "Gunung Kelam" clones? :)

My question is what's in the potting mix? I recently lost a little clone 3 from Wistuba to the winter :cry:

Wow! Stunning dvg, it is very beautiful, and can't believe how well it seems to be doing on your windowsill.

Thank you for sharing, I'm sure it'll continue to thrive!

Thanks Daniel, i didn't realize it, but this clipeata spent the winter and spring in front of a sunny window.

I just repotted it up into an 8" pot, so looking forward to it getting bigger over the summer.

Very beautiful plant, dvg. What sort of temps/conditions is it getting in your window?

Thanks Dex, it's getting regular household conditions, maybe a couple degrees cooler at night, and i've started misting it at night before i go to bed.

Amazing as always. Any wisdom to share about Wistuba's mixed "Gunung Kelam" clones? :)

Thanks Clue, whenever i need to know anything about clips, i just defer to you.

You seem to know more about N. clipeata than the average bear. ;)

My question is what's in the potting mix? I recently lost a little clone 3 from Wistuba to the winter :cry:

Thez, i try to aim for a 50/50 mineral/organics mix, that is airy and well draining.

dvg

Last edited:
This pitcher still hasn't popped it's top yet...

IMG_6127-1.jpg

...but it is showing more hip development...

IMG_6123-1.jpg

...and a bit of junk in the trunk.

I'll try to post a couple of pics once the lid lifts.

dvg

Very beautiful dvg, I really like clipeata. Thanks for making me add another one to my list ;)

Back