What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got my 2 new plants today,,

well I got my 2 new Nepenthes in the mail today...
got them in a pot and gave them a little rain water,,,ya I have 55 gallons of rain water saved.
N. Ventrata and N. Miranda
Any tips will help as they are my first 2.

DSCN7208.jpg

DSCN7207.jpg

DSCN7209.jpg

DSCN7210.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

the one on the right has a brownish dark leaf,,should I cut it off down at the stem?

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

the one on the right has a brownish dark leaf,,should I cut it off down at the stem?

Is your ventrata (the left) a cutting? If so, you need to check or ask the seller whether it has roots. If it is unrooted, you need to provide it 100% humidity for at least 1 month.

You can cut the brownish leaf. This won't harm the plant.

brian here,,I know they are both cuttings and the one on the right does have a small root mass but I will have to ask Taargus, that is where these 2 came from...

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

should I buy a mister/ fogger thing for the tank, I have 2 more of these coming in the mail..if so where is the cheapest place to find one?

also this is the info I got on them,
They each have produced a new leaf since rooting so it shouldn't be long before they really start to take off for you. I don't know if you're familiar with cuttings, so fyi all the lower leaves have been cut in half to reduce moisture loss. They may start pitchering on the next leaf grown in your care, or it may take a few.

They are hybrids of highland and lowland nepenthes. Intermediate temps are fine, but they will also grow in either highland or lowland conditions. Really anywhere from 50 to 70 F at night and 60 to 85 during the day. The main plants that I've cut these off of used to be grown outside and have tolerated many nights into the mid 40s and days above 100 F and have been fine, but I wouldn't recommend aiming for that, lol.

They like humidity above 60%, but may just not pitcher for you in lower, it depends on your other conditions. They have grown faster for me in a terrarium, but it's not necessary.

Light should be bright indirect, like a south facing window, or a well light terrarium with 6500k to 10000k bulbs. More light the more colorful the pitchers. If the leaves start getting a reddish tinge, it's like tanning for us, but any more and they can burn. When they start to make pitchers for you, if the pitchers are small and green the plant needs more light. That's usually how I adjust things when making a new setup, as everyone's conditions are so different, there's no right answer.

Also your potting mix should be able to hold moisture, but also be fast draining. I've been using a mix of longfiber spagnum, perlite, bark, and charcoal with good results, but you can modify to suit your watering habits. There are so many recommendations out there you might want to do a little googling for all your options. And don't forget to use water that has less than 100ppm tds. If your tap has more use rain, distilled, or RO water.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions or concerns as they come up. I've had the mom plants for about 6 years now and those cuttings are clones. There's also a ton of info on the web as they are one of the more common hybrids, but still very cool. They are great 1st neps to start with as they are pretty hardy and forgiving of mistakes too. Good luck, I hope some other members sent you some cool stuff too!

Last edited:
Back