What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with watering

ok I have had my plants for 2 days now and I have misted them 2 times a day with a hand sprayer.
Will this work or do I need to put water in the pots? please help.

If you got the plants with moist soil, you can wait a few days after getting them to water but if they were dry, you should have watered already. What does the soil feel like? Is it hot or windy where you're keeping them? Are the pots heavy enough to still have water in the soil? And what plants do you have (because some neps like it drier than others)? Do you have pictures of the plants? You have to list these basic traits in order for someone to help you because without them, you really can't get any useful advice to your specific plants in your specific conditions.

ok so I got 2 90w CFL bulbs to start with and a Thermometer /Hygrometer.
at this time with the lights running for a little while I am at 70.3 f and 100% humidity
the soil was moist when i got them in the mail

N. Ventrata and N. Miranda

DSCN7208.jpg

DSCN7218.jpg

DSCN7221.jpg

this is the info I got on them
They each have produced a new leaf since rooting so it shouldn't be long before they really start to take off for you. I don't know if you're familiar with cuttings, so fyi all the lower leaves have been cut in half to reduce moisture loss. They may start pitchering on the next leaf grown in your care, or it may take a few.

They are hybrids of highland and lowland nepenthes. Intermediate temps are fine, but they will also grow in either highland or lowland conditions. Really anywhere from 50 to 70 F at night and 60 to 85 during the day. The main plants that I've cut these off of used to be grown outside and have tolerated many nights into the mid 40s and days above 100 F and have been fine, but I wouldn't recommend aiming for that, lol.

They like humidity above 60%, but may just not pitcher for you in lower, it depends on your other conditions. They have grown faster for me in a terrarium, but it's not necessary.

Light should be bright indirect, like a south facing window, or a well light terrarium with 6500k to 10000k bulbs. More light the more colorful the pitchers. If the leaves start getting a reddish tinge, it's like tanning for us, but any more and they can burn. When they start to make pitchers for you, if the pitchers are small and green the plant needs more light. That's usually how I adjust things when making a new setup, as everyone's conditions are so different, there's no right answer.

Also your potting mix should be able to hold moisture, but also be fast draining. I've been using a mix of longfiber spagnum, perlite, bark, and charcoal with good results, but you can modify to suit your watering habits. There are so many recommendations out there you might want to do a little googling for all your options. And don't forget to use water that has less than 100ppm tds. If your tap has more use rain, distilled, or RO water.

I would simply pour water through the pot every couple of days. No misting necessary. No standing water necessary.

Back