What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The curious case of Benjualaneae Button: It's pitchers have been getting successively smaller. The small pitcher in the top right is its latest one, lid open and everything. What the heck?? It appears to be that the next tendrils have more oomph to them, but I really wonder why this N. jacquelineae was doing this. ??? Hopefully it gets better.

DSCN5777.jpg

N. hamata finally starting to produce a pithcer, I hope!

DSCN5772.jpg

N. glabrata pitcher finally open and coloring up.

DSCN5775.jpg

The other N. glabrata is pitchering just fine, but taking forever and a half to color up.

DSCN5776.jpg

Just for fun, U. calcyfida. I love when the leaves look like this. :)

DSCN5769.jpg

D. prolifera being prolific (unlike the spec x aristo right behind it.)

DSCN5764.jpg

Carnivorous friends!

DSCN5770.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

I also added an update to the N. argentii progression at the top of page 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nepenthes faizaliana produced its first pitcher for me. :) I have high hopes for this plant. Can you spot the D. prolifera? :p

DSCN5797.jpg

If only I would have had it for six months, I'd enter it in the POM contest. :)

DSCN5796.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 AM ----------

OMG! New Nepenthes species found in Borneo!

N. quadcalcarata! :lol: :-))

Mirrored.jpg

Call me crazy but I thought that was a neat desktop background. XD

I really liked your N. bicalcarata. Do you remember how old/large the plant was when the first fangs appeared? Also, I wonder if it's possible to keep a miniature version, like a bonsai tree, through constant pruning and keeping the pot size small.

I really liked your N. bicalcarata. Do you remember how old/large the plant was when the first fangs appeared? Also, I wonder if it's possible to keep a miniature version, like a bonsai tree, through constant pruning and keeping the pot size small.

Thank you emre. My plant had fangs of some kind pretty much as soon as I got it which was many years ago when it had a five inch leaf span. I, too, thought about trimming or something to try and keep it small, but in my experience, and from what I've heard N. bicalcarata do not like being mutilated or stressed at all so it could very well be a bad idea to mess with it.

After seeing how Nepenthes react to stunting the only way I could think of successfully getting a stunted bonsai sort of N. bicalcarata would be by letting it get infested with some sort of pest until the leaves are stunted. :scratch:

IDK though, N. bicalcarata are just really big plants, I don't think there's much hope in trying to hold one back.

Nice and healthy plants you have got there. Hopefully, you will have the true N. faizaliana, and not the N. fusca "Sarawak" which has been sold under that name. Although that plant is nice too.

Regards,

Christer

Nice and healthy plants you have got there. Hopefully, you will have the true N. faizaliana, and not the N. fusca "Sarawak" which has been sold under that name. Although that plant is nice too.

Regards,

Christer

I know, I hope that too. But I don't think AW would be one to sell mislabeled species. ???

Thank you emre. My plant had fangs of some kind pretty much as soon as I got it which was many years ago when it had a five inch leaf span. I, too, thought about trimming or something to try and keep it small, but in my experience, and from what I've heard N. bicalcarata do not like being mutilated or stressed at all so it could very well be a bad idea to mess with it.

After seeing how Nepenthes react to stunting the only way I could think of successfully getting a stunted bonsai sort of N. bicalcarata would be by letting it get infested with some sort of pest until the leaves are stunted. :scratch:

IDK though, N. bicalcarata are just really big plants, I don't think there's much hope in trying to hold one back.
I've never had fangs on mine yet, but their leaves are around 2-3'' right now. I've had this "bonsai Nepenthes" in my head as a thought experiment for quite some time. Will be thinking about it. Thanks for the info.

I didn't think so either, yet that is what happened when I got a specimen from him in 2004. Lets hope that what he offers nowadays is correctly labeled.

Regards,

Christer

My N. glabrata had shrinking pitchers and I think it's as the plant grew upwards and gained height, the tendrils were further away from the moist to humid air near the potting material, so the pitchers shrank. I notice people who have higher humidity have pitchers twice the size on the same plants I have, so maybe check if your humidity is high enough? My biggest N. jacquelinae makes pretty small pitchers and always on looooong tendrils that pop up in other plants' pots on the medium...so it may need to have moist moss on the tendril tips.

I didn't think so either, yet that is what happened when I got a specimen from him in 2004. Lets hope that what he offers nowadays is correctly labeled.

Regards,

Christer

Hmm... :( Well I hope so too!

My N. glabrata had shrinking pitchers and I think it's as the plant grew upwards and gained height, the tendrils were further away from the moist to humid air near the potting material, so the pitchers shrank. I notice people who have higher humidity have pitchers twice the size on the same plants I have, so maybe check if your humidity is high enough? My biggest N. jacquelinae makes pretty small pitchers and always on looooong tendrils that pop up in other plants' pots on the medium...so it may need to have moist moss on the tendril tips.

I've been pretty good at humidity lately. And what's strange is the first pitcher didn't form in moss, but the second one did and it stopped growing!

So my experience showed me that it doesn't like growing in moss. :0o: But that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Regardless, the newest bud appears to be forming well. :)

Unlikely neighbors

Drosera rotundifolia and Nepenthes hamata first pitcher under my care.

DSCN5804.jpg

Nepenthes spectabilis x talangensis
first pitcher after a many month long hiatus of no pitchers.

DSCN5805.jpg

DSCN5807.jpg

This is the part of my terrarium that has the most amount of pitchers per square inch, hands down.

DSCN5806.jpg

Wow :0o: very nice!

Nepenthes ventricosa x glandulifera Latest pitcher

DSCN5812.jpg

That N. spectabilis x talangensis is fantastic

Thank you ! I like it too. It's sort of the bread-winner of my collection at the moment. :p

N. faizaliana pitcher deeper in color now. Love it!

DSCN5821.jpg

The biggest N. glabrata pitcher I've grown yet! Not yet colored up, but much bigger than it's counterpart's pitchers.

DSCN5825.jpg

Burbrwardsiana's first pitcher! (Editor's note: As stated multiple times in this thread, this plant is N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana, however, I have decided that I will name my particular plant Burbwardsiana, just as I would name my cat, my dog, or any other pet or living thing to which I devote my attention to.)

DSCN5822.jpg

TEETH.

DSCN5824.jpg

Finally chugging along. Notice the leaf that is very bent when it arrived and never bent back, but that didn't stop it from sending out a little pitcher. :)

DSCN5823.jpg

Last edited:
Everything looks astounding!! :-D
What's the conditions for your N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana? :oops:

Everything looks astounding!! :-D
What's the conditions for your N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana? :oops:

Thank you Thank you! :D

I am growing it the same as everything else -

Growing in pure, temperate, live long fiber sphagnum moss. Temperatures of low seventies occasionally up to 80 during the days and night temps of... (I'm actually not sure, I rarely check in the middle of the night) but I believe it probably is between 55 degrees and 60 degrees.

The humidity never dips below 70 percent. I mist the plant every day sometimes twice.

I have four compact florescent bulbs of varying intensities and spectrums shining on the plants. The N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana is actually farther away from the light than most of my plants. I'd say about a foot away.

Hows yours doing?

I'm jealous of all three of those... *must obtain N. faizaliana* :oops:

Hehe! comeon Thez, for an AW plant it was CHEAP!

Back