What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow, that burb x eddie is insane!!

Beautful plants dex, everything looks great especially that N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana! Also was that N. argentii that made you so happy?

C12 - Yes! The best birthday present ever, just popped today! It's been a couple years since I got a pitcher from N. argentii.

DSCN7468.jpg

DSCN7467.jpg

DSCN7469.jpg

DSCN7470.jpg

This plant makes me pretty happy too, I guess. :p

DSCN7471.jpg

DSCN7472.jpg

DSCN7473.jpg

Very nice. The argentii is cute.

Haven't been around much, so I saved up some pictures and finally got around to uploading them.

N. talangensis x hamata colors up nicely.

DSCN7496.jpg

N. robcantleyi x maxima likes to lean wit' its pitchers.

DSCN7497.jpg

N. campanulata x maxima, quite handsome.

DSCN7498.jpg

DSCN7499.jpg

DSCN7502.jpg

N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) acts like a lowlander

DSCN7503.jpg

DSCN7504.jpg

N. eymae x jacquelineae

DSCN7505.jpg

N. ventricosa x glandulifera - impossible to photograph without it seeming like it has a gaping maw

DSCN7507.jpg

The classic N. spectabilis x talangensis

DSCN7508.jpg

A gaggle of N. ventricosa x hamata pitchers

DSCN7510.jpg

D. regia doing its thang.

DSCN7511.jpg

N. argentii

DSCN7512.jpg

DSCN7514.jpg

DSCN7516.jpg

DSCN7517.jpg

N. hamata

DSCN7520.jpg

DSCN7521.jpg

DSCN7522.jpg

I really enjoyed the lighting on this N. singalana x hamata

DSCN7524.jpg

DSCN7525.jpg

DSCN7526.jpg

They are absolutely gorgeous, Dex! Nice growing! :)

A lot's changed for my carnivorous plant collection in the last 16 months. There were some dark times for myself and my plants. My entire personal collection has reached its smallest size in nearly five years. I am down to just 5 species of plant. Their state was questionable not too long ago. But my most recent personal event has been moving down to Washington. Now that I am here I have done some adjustments to their setup and I can say it looks like all the plants are on the mends to better times. Here they are:

N. singalana x hamata

N. talangensis x hamata

N. eymae x ephippiata

Love this pitcher

Oddly enough, even through hard times, this Cephalotus has managed to live. I have killed many Cephalotus in my life so I am not sure why this one decided to survive. But it appears to have multiple growth points working on vegetation, so I am excited about that.

And last but certainly not least. Only a tiny plug of U. asplundii has stuck it out. But sticking it out, it certainly is.

This is my new setup. I just realized as I was taking these photos that this is actually my first terrarium I've ever had. I got it when I was maybe ten. But I finally found the exact light that I have always wanted for this terrarium. It was really expensive. I have my little computer fan set up to give some airflow to the tank. I am pleased with it at the moment.

Looks great! Are you sure that that open lid keeps the humidity high enough?

No it really doesn't but I just mist it a ton to keep up with it.

Just got back from a 12 day road trip and I can safely say that lightly fertilizing all the plants with sea bird guano had a positive effect. Also I have two newcomers to the terrarium who didn't skip a beat while hanging out in my car for a week.

I was laughing to myself as I realized that almost all my plants are cousins, I didn't plan it that way...

Poor N. eymae x ephippiata; it has no relatives in the tank. But it is really chugging along nicely, I think it likes the new location and new setup.

N. talangensis x hamata, a rather simple and stately sort of plant.

N. singalana x hamata definitely enjoyed the fertilization.

Yet strangely enough, this is the last pitcher it made... ?

New kid on the block, N. spectabilis x singalana. I really am impressed with this plant.

N. talangensis x glandulifera. Like most glandulifera hybrids, there is not much to say about this plant. But I really like it.

And for once, I can finally say that a Cephalotus is actually taking off for me. I accidentally released a slug into the tank, though, and it definitely nommed some new growth. Normally this would be the end for a Ceph of mine, however this one is loving life.

Said goodbye to ol' N. talangensis x hamata a few days ago. . .

N. spectabilis x singalana is a stunner

Bonsai N. singalana x hamata

I am really loving N. talangensis x glandulifera. It is a very interesting plant.

It has a voracious appetite for whatever kind of very small worm it trapped in my terrarium.

The strangest thing about this plant is that it is exhibiting a rather interesting trait where it has a notably flat region on the pitcher just below the center of the peristome. This area reflects light readily if angled right and the flattened region extends all around the pitcher to an extent. I am not sure if other species or hybrids do this but I myself have not grown any that do before, so I am somewhat amused by this.

Did you sell the talangensis x hamata or are you referring to the mulch pile? Hopefully not the latter.

With the talangensis x glandulifera, are you referring to the steep curve of the inner portion of the peristome? If so, that's a trait that is expressed pretty strongly in talangensis and its hybrids, and is pretty unique among Nepenthes. It sort of pins talangensis between the "flypaper" species of Sumatra and those that utilize a large, wet peristome in perhumid climates.

This forum has really slowed down, hasn't it?

Oh no, I traded the talangensis x hamata plant for a S. x 'reptilian rose', so I am happy about it. Hopefully it will do good in its new home.

You can see the trait that I am talking about in the last photo. It's pretty much dead center in the photo and it is actually the pitcher body not the peristome. You see how it is notably flat and reflecting light just below the peristome in between the ribs? So far every pitcher has had this trait. I just did a quick cpphotofinder browse and I can't find any pure talangensis which seem to have that trait... hmm

But yes, the forum has slowed down a bit these days...

Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, I suppose it's noticeable on glandulifera pitchers and the infundibular structure of talangensis seems to really accentuate it. Pretty high hip!

Yeah after looking at glandulifera pictures I guess that must be what it is - a super high hip mark. Neato!

Not too much going on in my grow spaces these days . . . but there is some excitement.

N. spectabilis x singalana

N. singlana x hamata

N. talangensis x glandulifera

N. sp. "Mt. Mingan"

N. attenboroughii

And the only one out of quite a few seeds to actually sprout so far... N. rajah x jacquelineae

And that is literally my entire collection of Nepenthes at the moment. It's ironic - this is the smallest my collection has been for a long time, yet in some ways it feels like the greatest it has ever been.

I really like the N. talangensis x glandulifera, turned out really nice

Back