User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep Ultra Highlanders cool?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that it is starting to get colder, I just use the outside air by keeping the window open and using some duct tubing to vent in air to my tank. Brings temps down to 53F or so at night. All plants are loving it....but I think its too late for all my 200$ plants as they seem as if the summer was just too much to recover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    now that it is starting to get colder, I just use the outside air by keeping the window open and using some duct tubing to vent in air to my tank. Brings temps down to 53F or so at night. All plants are loving it....but I think its too late for all my 200$ plants as they seem as if the summer was just too much to recover.

Yeah, this summer was brutal. My plants are loving these cooler temps!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grow them in my basement.......even when its 110 outside in summer my basement stays in the low 70's at its warmest.....

my macro(and all the rest of my neps) in summer sees 75-80* days and mid 60* nights.....spring, fall and winter its low to mid 70's in the day and 55-60 at night.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twigs View Post
    Cheaper is better and, at the moment, I am only looking to provide this drop for a one or two plants, so the setup can be relatively small. Right now I was thinking of just putting a frozen gallon of water in a tank with the plant each night but I would certainly like a more consistent and automated solution.
    There's someone who posts here on Terra (DVG?) from Canada who grows some incredible ultrahighlanders and uses this method iirc.

Many folks (like Rattler) have good in-ground basements that provide a good cool temp.

There are a few 'unique' solutions around also (mostly on cpuk) where people added to or modified small refrigerators. Some place the plants & lights in the frig, some keep the lights outside the frig (cut hole in top & cover w/ glass) and some place coils of tubing in the frig and circulate fluids to a heat exchanger & fan in their tank. There's also at least one person who modified a chest freezer and grows their ultra's in it (in CPN?).

One of the approaches I need to research further to understand is Wistuba's 'cooling wall'. Does anyone know how that works?
    Last edited by RL7836; 11-01-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    One of the approaches I need to research further to understand is Wistuba's 'cooling wall'. Does anyone know how that works?
    It's a gigantic swamp cooler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, what she said ^^^

I've seen them in commercial greenhouses here and despite being 90+ outside, it was at most 70 or so inside the greenhouse. It's usually a wall or a large section of wall that has a filter over and through which water trickles down. A fan on the other side pushes outside air through the wall, which cools is cooled down and humidified.

I imagine if one lived in a humid area it wouldn't be very effective, though.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    Yep, what she said ^^^

I've seen them in commercial greenhouses here and despite being 90+ outside, it was at most 70 or so inside the greenhouse. It's usually a wall or a large section of wall that has a filter over and through which water trickles down. A fan on the other side pushes outside air through the wall, which cools is cooled down and humidified.

I imagine if one lived in a humid area it wouldn't be very effective, though.
    Back when we were in India, we used to have air coolers. They are basically the same product. it was a hay-based mats method of cooling. A box with water and a pump at the bottom. The pump pumps water through the 3 mats on the 3 sides of the box, while the fourth side had a huuuge fan that pumped out air from the box to the outside. ANd holy crap!! it was a spectacular cooler. I remember sometimes being soo cold during a 40C summer that we had to turn it off. Of course, it is also dependent on the humidity. Not an issue in India as summers are mostly dry and hot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swamp coolers work great in places with low humidity.....know of one orchid seller in the Minneapolis area that uses one and has decent success and its fairly humid there.....the drier the air the bigger temp difference can be created.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast