What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New growth but worried about a sun tan

Brian here,,well I have new growth,,, also I have a little red showing up on the leaves...the top leave is about 6" from the light,,,but growing a new pitcher and I have a new leaf coming out of the center..they seem to be happy,what do you think?

DSCN7502.jpg

DSCN7504.jpg

DSCN7510.jpg

DSCN7447.jpg

DSCN7508.jpg

everything looks great. Just keep it up. :)

absolutely fine, my N. x miranda has a great tan on it, more intense than that, and it looks great.

I stick my miranda outside when it rains, and when I forget to bring it in when the sun comes out, it gets a coppery red, red, red!

Brian,

its looking really good!!! glad you finally got all the tweaks worked out with your setup! wish you luck!

-Javier

well my little pitcher has almost doubled in size...SO HAPPY
I think they are happy.

When is the best time to water,,morning-day-or night? also should the water be a cold/ room temp/ or worm?
I was thinking cold water might be a shock to the roots but I don't know....

When is the best time to water,,morning-day-or night? also should the water be a cold/ room temp/ or worm?

In my experience, these details don't matter very much at all, though some growers may disagree. All water I use is at room temp.

As for time- morning or day wouldn't matter much, and night time would be fine too, but you would have to worry about leaving water on the leaves or in the little spaces of the nodes. If left at night, you could be setting yourself for a fungus outbreak if you have poor air circulation.

Hope this helps!
CJ

well my little pitcher has almost doubled in size...SO HAPPY
I think they are happy.

Brian they look quite happy, so glad they are doing well for you!

It has never made a difference for me watering day or night either. I've done both for extended periods of time due to weird schedules. They don't care, and unlike other plants you won't rot the leaves if water sits on them overnight, so I wouldn't worry about it. I have watered with room temp water or slightly cooler/warmer based on where the water was stored indoors. They aren't too picky.

so if the leaves start to get to dark red should i raise the lights?,,,

if dark red, no, if starting to burn, yes

if dark red, no, if starting to burn, yes

Burn starts off as a brown dead spot(s) and then spreads. Looks like a splotch of dead dried brown leaf next to green/red living tissue. You'll know burn if you see it.

Last edited:
Back