Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nepenthes "Sabre"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

Here are pictures of a few N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis clones in my collection.

"A"

"Wide Peristome" ("B"?)

"C"

N. "Sabre"

N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis is one of my favorite crosses and I always enjoy seeing all the variations in this complex hybrid. I think that "A", "B", and "C" are not specific clones, but are different groups of clones. Perhaps it could even designate different N. ventricosa or N. x trusmadiensis clones used as parents in similar crossings. My "Wide Peristome" clone appears to be from the "B" batch. However, this is all speculation and I could be wrong. As for N. "Sabre", it is a batch of clones from seeds raised in tissue culture for mass propagation by EP.

Cheers,

Ch00ka
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-15-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustments - single quotes are reserved to indicate the names of actual registered cultivars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adilevi424@gm View Post
    so every N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis can be called N. "Sabre".
    i know ep as 2 clones A and B (if i am not mistaken B got wide peristome),also he lists now clone C ,and there are lots of SG plants of this hybrid.
    so every single one of this clones can be called N. "Sabre" ?
    Yes, and every other plant on the planet can also be called N. "Sabre", or whatever else you wish. But officially, N. "Sabre" is neither a registered grex name, nor a valid cultivar name. It is simply a pet name, or nickname someone has decided to attach to the hybrid, only guessed to be (N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis). See CP Photo Finder for N. "Sabre". Since the parentage is uncertain, this fact disqualifies it to be registered as a grex. Every individual plant, produced from seed, is potentially a unique clone. Clone, in this sense, simply means "genetically unique individual". So there may be as many unique clones as there are seeds that grew into plants.

Unique plants can be registered as cultivars (for free), regardless of their parentage. Once a unique plant is registered as a cultivar, you can compare your plant to the published description and photographic standard, so you can be more certain that you are growing the plant you wish to grow.

Of course, any plant can look lousy (if it has lousy growing conditions), but under suitable growing conditions, a registered cultivar would have a much greater chance of appearing like its published description and standard photograph than any other random clone.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-15-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing plants! I grow vent x TM as well and it has become one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait for mine to perk up. It's about 2 feet tall, and very unhappy. It didn't ship well at all.. It's basal is doing great though!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I just love N. lowii hybrids!
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ch00ka View Post
    Hi everyone,

Here are pictures of a few N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis clones in my collection.

"A"

"Wide Peristome" ("B"?)

"C"

N. "Sabre"

N. ventricosa x x trusmadiensis is one of my favorite crosses and I always enjoy seeing all the variations in this complex hybrid. I think that "A", "B", and "C" are not specific clones, but are different groups of clones. Perhaps it could even designate different N. ventricosa or N. x trusmadiensis clones used as parents in similar crossings. My "Wide Peristome" clone appears to be from the "B" batch. However, this is all speculation and I could be wrong. As for N. "Sabre", it is a batch of clones from seeds raised in tissue culture for mass propagation by EP.

Cheers,

Ch00ka

I really cannot believe you went to all that trouble! It was worth it!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123