What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting In Water Question

1st Time rooting in water {What do you know It Works} & I was wondering when to move to a soil mix after it starts to root

I have a Vent X Burkei cutting that I've been keeping in water
It's started a nice basal but only has 2 tiny roots

Should I wait for them to get bigger / More roots
Or
Is it ok to pot it up now

Just thinking about the whole Water Root / Soil Root thing

Thanx
DC

I've never rooted cuttings in water, but I do know of a great grower that roots all of his cuttings in water. I just do them in moist soil with great success. Took some new pics of them today to show how well their doing with no signs of stress what so ever.
The way how I treat my cuttings is I fill a shotglass with Clonex Rooting gel and let the cutting soak in the gel for like 15 to 20 minutes to absorb the rooting hormone in the cut end. Then I place them in the potted soil mix and let the pots sit in a small tray of water to keep the soil moist to wet so the cuttings dont wilt and die. As you can see I have them in my greenhouse. I also mist them regularly several times a day with rainwater with superthrive like I do all my other plants. Works wonders. I also dont cut the leaves nor pitchers. I just fill the pitchers with a rainwater/superthrive solution.

How big is the root system on your cutting? If its a nice root system, I would say go for it and move it to its soil mixture.

Female Eymae

a-144.jpg

Ventricosa x xTiveyi (A)

b-135.jpg

Tobaica x Ovata x Veitchii

c-117.jpg

I've done them in water. When you have roots, transition them by putting the cutting in saturated soil media and let it gradually dry.

Ventricosa and the more common neps are easy to root in water. I changed out the water every other day or so, I like the water to be free of muck.

Back