What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

might be a bump question??

Don't know but can you grow highlands in a lowlands terrarium? or does it get to hot????

That is beyond a bump question. That is a read basic Nepenthes training 101 question. But to answer your question - No you can't.

It all depends on the species, some are not true highlanders and can tolerate some warm nights, but most true lowlanders demand warm nights.

Thus that is what distinguishes Lowlanders from Highlanders. Lowlanders need warmer nights (65-75 degrees) and highlanders need cooler nights (45-60 degrees). Of course each species is different and depending on where they are found naturally, it will vary.

But they cannot be grown together for the most part.

Unless they have been hybridized with one another, in which case it *may* be possible to grow a plant that has highlander genes in a lowland environment or vice versa, but expect any hybrids to require similar conditions as their mother parent.

what is a "bump question"?

I have no clue either.. guess I am not hip to the lingo anymore ;<

To go one further in answering your question Rockhopper. It is not simply a matter of the night temperature. Without getting into specifics of exactly what plants you would try to grow or the actual temperature ranges, it is true that too warm at night would be detrimental in the long run. It is also true that too warm during the day can be detrimental for highland plants as well.

Just as another general note from my experience. I find that N. veitchii, even the 'highland' forms are really not all that highland and like to be on the warm side of highland or the cool side of lowland. I also find that many of the Philippine 'highland' plants that have been in cultivation for a while (ie ventricosa, highland truncata, sibuyanensis etc) do better warmer than typical highland plants.

Tony

Bump = Bring up my post... A way to get an old thread to the first page, so slightly out of context :)

Anyway; HL plants in LL conditions is a bad idea.

i think it was just a typo and he meant to write "dumb" :p

highlands in lowland conditions usually doesnt work with the exception of some species like Tony mentioned that arent terribly picky.....however some lowlands can do fine in highland temps....ive got merrilliana growing alongside macrophylla and both are happy....

Bump = Bring up my post... A way to get an old thread to the first page, so slightly out of context :)

Anyway; HL plants in LL conditions is a bad idea.

yeah..but its not an old tread..its a new thread..
you can "bump" an old thread, just to bring it to the top..
but that doesnt explain what a "bump question" is, in relation to a brand-new question in a brand new post..so we still dont know what it means! ???

but apparently rockhopper and Dexy do know what it means..
guys?

Scot

im pretty sure i understand what he was saying....
that he might have to bump his own thread until someone finally answered his question, because its one that people would look at and go "seriously?"
but such is not the case on this forum,
so
There are a few highlanders which can tolerate lowland conditions, but those have been discussed....and only because they are more intermediate-highlanders than true highlanders, so the basic answer is a no, highlanders cannot grow as lowlanders...
However in a bizarre change of events, there are several lowlanders who grow just fine as intermediate-highland or highlanders in general....
they might not grow to their true potential, however...

Just to clarify, so my reputation isn't on the line...

I do not know technically what a "bump question" is. But I was assuming it was a question that you would be able to bump an old thread that had already answered it before. But if that were the case, you wouldn't need to bump it, because the thread would have answered it...

wow, all this for a typo....thanks for the answer to my question.

Part of me was thinking it was a typo lol
But I would like to appologize if I sounded rude on my post...

ah! ok..cool then..mystery solved!
I figured it was a real thing because Dexy seemed to know what it was! ;)

Scot

Follow the leader! :D

LMFAO! for every post on topic there was 2-3 offtopic.

so the answer is no to regular species, but when it comes to hybrids, anything can happen as long as you acclimate accordingly.

Obviously people on this forum think too much... That's why i love it here!

I want to say though, that it is hard to be sure as my house is generally an intermediate climate, but at one point I had HLs and LLs growing together with no humidity boost or anything to help them out. While they looked very sickly the whole time, very few of them actually died unless it was from shipping/climate adjustment shock. I've even found that it varies from plant to plant, not just species to species (survival of the fittest.) Obviously though, they were classified as HL LL for a reason.

Back