What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

too much coffee?

I have been using coffee once a month on two of my neps and it seems to have had the desired effect of making them grow faster but the growth has been a little odd so I'm statring to wonder if I'm using too much coffee. They are probably fine since they are still pitchering and don't show any signs of over fertilization but maybe someone on here has had something similar happen. The plants are veitchii k and black truncata. The truncata is the one that has had the most odd growth. The leaves have taken to flattening out and then curling back up at the ends. Also the shape of the newest leaf is a bit odd and its at least twice the size of the last leaf which was already at least twice the size of the leaf before that. The veitchii has only shown the waviness in the leafs in this last leaf so it may just be a fluke.

thats crazy, i just started coffee myself, i was told once ever 3-6 months to use but if u have been doing it once a month n they havent died maybe ill just try every other month.

nice pics though

Truncatas do that sometimes, it fairly normal.

Coffee, eh? Haven't heard of that. Looks like I have some researching to do!

Looks totally healthy to me, so you might as well just carry on.

still slightly odd... especially on that vetchii

The sudden (and often dramatic) leaf size increase is what I have observed with mine too, as long as it is still pitchering, it shouldn't be a problem.

After seeing your veitchii leaf, I realize now why some of the plants I just ordered had no pitchers and looked like some Home Depot foliage plants with ruffly leaves (veitchii in the hybrids) instead of nepenthes vines with tendrils and stuff. They were plants the same size as the other I have, but looked totally different and I think it's because of fertilization.

Here's the two with lots of ferts (sorry for the big pics...can't really smallerize them. these are clickable to expand to bigger size...):

and the one I've been growing for about a year without ferts at all pretty much...

I guess I'll just keep doing it every month or two until I notice problems with pitchering. When I used to use normal orchid fertilizer on other neps they would stop pitchering after a while until I stopped fertilizing as much. The growth was never as dramatic as these have been with the coffee though so maybe the plants are using up the extra nutrients in the growth process and its not building up in the soil over time so pitcher making hasn't been effected. I was just a little worried since the other truncata I have has never done that and although I haven't had my other veitchii very long I have had it longer than this one and it has never shown very wavy leaves.

No comment on the coffee thing

But I think the curly leaf looks cool
Imagine a whole plant like that

Good Luck With Them
DC

Back