Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cats find Ventrata tasty

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cats probably would not eat Nepenthes if they had a properly balanced diet and had other plants available to them, specifically cat grass like Kris mentioned. You can try the pepper route, but you might forget and end up with pepper in your eyes.

If I were you I would just spray the cats when you see them near the Nepenthes, in conjunction with giving them access to plants that they can eat.

Cats really don't like spray bottles.

And Dethcheez: Lol.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain there. My stupid cat just ate my D. filiformis that was going dormant on my windowsill. It started growing again, and my cat ate the damn shoots! Now it's pretty much dead.

I used the spray bottle vigilantly, but I'm not home all day - so she knows when to move in. I also tried putting a plastic cup on the corner of the tray the plants were in so the cat would knock it down if she tried to get to the plants and it would make a bunch of noise and scare her away. Yeah, that didn't work. I might try the cayenne thing myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAT GRASS IS THE PLANT SAVER! More people need to know about this. Buy the seed kits and not the already growing grass, the seed gives you 3-4 pots worth of grass compared to one shot with the ready-grown pots. Here's what I do:

Using a shallow undrained take along food container I put two or three handfuls of potting soil in it soak it real good (not quite mud but evenly moist). Then sprinkle seeds across the surface not too densely then another handful of dry potting soil just covering over the seeds and lightly press it down, the dry soil soaks up moisture around the seed. Then I set the pot ontop of the microwave where it's warm and dark. If I plant the seed on Sunday they are usually germinated by Tuesday, then I put them near the terrarium lights until Thursday or Friday when they are 2-3 inches tall which is when I let the cats have at it, and they both love it and leave the other plants alone. I water when the grass gets weepy and very lightweight food containers are clear so you can see how wet or dry they are. My cats don't like it if it's too tall so I keep it trimmed to 4" high or so.

Cats really don't like spray bottles.
    I have a little tuxedo cat who loves to find a perch and give his "death glare" at the female calico just to hear her howl and give her groan. I can spray him until I've emptied the bottle - he doesn't care! "Eh it's only water - I've been wet before, it more fun to hear her wail!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cats don't just chew on plants because they are hungry,
    and the cat-grass may work... depends on how much they liked chewing on the Neps & Dews!

I never used pepper spray on dews, and I think that may be a problem for the dews.

Cats like chewing on things, and if you have a cat you know that anything that touches their mouth goes into it! Only comes back as a hairball!, vomit, or goes all the way thru!

Of the cats we have had, only one really liked "cat-grass", and for me it didn't stop the cat from chewing other stuff... just gave him more to choose from!

Good luck, as something will work...eventually!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *** Math Alert! ***

If I am not mistaken, all you need to do to calculate the cost of your single light is use this...

((xW/(1000W/Kw)) * yHours) * (z$/Kwh) = $
    Where
    x = lightbulb Watts
    y = Hours per month
    z = Cost per Kwh

This basically says take the WATTS your light bulb uses and divide 1000 to get you Kilowatts. Multiply that by how many hours a month you use it and then by the cost per kilowatt your power company charges. Average cost for residential is around $0.12 per Kilowatt hour according to google (california). Most states are probably dramatically lower than this. But this will give you a high estimate. I think my state is $0.08.

If my logic is correct... For a 100 Watt bulb used 12 hours a day for 30 days a month would cost...

= (100 /1000 * (30 * 12)) * (0.12/1)
    = (100/1000 * 360) * 0.12
    = (0.10 * 360) * 0.12
    = 36 * 0.12
    = $4.32

Now a 100W bulb is alot for flourescent. Most of my bulbs are 40-60W if I recall.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by dashman; 12-03-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dash- did you post in the wrong thread or...? am i missing something here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't my cats puke up that grass all over my nice new carpet?
    And they also find albomarginatas tasty.. take it from me, I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    dash- did you post in the wrong thread or...? am i missing something here
    No. I was responding to the comment that his dad is blaming his CFL light for high electric bills. I wanted to show how to calculate the cost of using his CFL. I like to use math, shows the 20K my parents spent went to good use. I don't use it much in my IT field other than i = i + 1... LOL.

Also, FYI I can't use a lamp with a CFL. I did that last winter and my dad didn't like it, and then later claimed that the spike in the electric bill was due to me while completely ignoring that my sister was home that month and had the space heater on all day in her room lol! So I can't provide lamp light as long as I live at home.
    Last edited by dashman; 12-03-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast