Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cats find Ventrata tasty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cats find Ventrata tasty

I was wondering if it would be safe to mix up some cayan pepper and distilled water and coat my Nepenthes Ventrata with it to deter the cats from eating it. I would like to be able to take it out of my bedroom so it can get more light, but the cats then have access to it. It is surviving where it is, but not making any pitchers. Any room with good light also is accessible to the cats so I need to cat proof this plant. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Also, FYI I can't use a lamp with a CFL. I did that last winter and my dad didn't like it, and then later claimed that the spike in the electric bill was due to me while completely ignoring that my sister was home that month and had the space heater on all day in her room lol! So I can't provide lamp light as long as I live at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outsmart him (your dad). Find how many watts were used the previous month, how many were used that month, and how many watts your lamp uses. Multiply your lamp's wattage by your photo period, then by thirty. Subtract that number from the difference of the previous month and the month in question. You should find (assuming the thing about your sister running a space heater is true - space heaters use TONS of energy), you should have a very major discrepancy.

Anywho, I can't know for sure, but my first reaction is that you probably shouldn't do it. Definitely wait for others to chime in, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
    Outsmart him (your dad). Find how many watts were used the previous month, how many were used that month, and how many watts your lamp uses. Multiply your lamp's wattage by your photo period, then by thirty. Subtract that number from the difference of the previous month and the month in question. You should find (assuming the thing about your sister running a space heater is true - space heaters use TONS of energy), you should have a very major discrepancy.

Anywho, I can't know for sure, but my first reaction is that you probably shouldn't do it. Definitely wait for others to chime in, though.
    Yeah, I already tried that. He simply won't listen to reason, and he always disagreed with me giving my plants extra light with lamps as he thought it was not needed so he used the first excuse possible to make me stop. Enough about that though. The topic is cayan pepper and nepenthes.

A few pest deterrent sprays for plants outside contain cayan pepper. It is the kind of spray that stops deer and rabbits from eating your outside plants. I figured the same would work for cats inside, I just know carnivorous plants can be more finicky. Maybe I could test it on one leaf that the cats already bit pieces off of so it wouldn't be too big a loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    I just know carnivorous plants can be more finicky.
    Therein lies the issue. It seems to me it would burn a plant as delicate a CP, but I don't have experience with it, so I can't know for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just get some catgrass from petsmart or petco or something and place it where the cat would be able to access it first over the nep...
    my old cat ate my baby N. jacquelineae, and it drove me up the wall...
    bought a few things of catgrass, cat never came to my neps again haha...was quite content with the grass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    just get some catgrass from petsmart or petco or something and place it where the cat would be able to access it first over the nep...
    my old cat ate my baby N. jacquelineae, and it drove me up the wall...
    bought a few things of catgrass, cat never came to my neps again haha...was quite content with the grass
    Now that's a clever fix, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say a Baseball Bat works great as a deterrent

When you see the cat go for the plant
    Yell "NO" really load then smack it upside the head with the bat

But I was afraid that I might offend some people so I wont say it

{Just Kidding People}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOOGLE

Cat repellent~
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&p...ellent&spell=1
    OR
    Homemade Cat Repellent~
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&p...99d644c9cc206c

Good Luck
    DC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Responsibility!

Tman,
    I will respond to this here and also in a PM to you. I think it best that way....

I have used Habanero peppers cut apart, and wiped the inside of the pepper onto nep leaves, and have also used a variety of sprays like what you are talking about. (I use the peppers on electric wires, boxes... nearly anything except fabric, to avoid staining. Use reason however, as I wouldn't use it on something expensive and delicate, like my big screen TV!) But indeed I have used it on occasion, on a few Nep leaves to keep our cats at bay.
    I would suggest a light application first, and perhaps test it on only one or two leaves, just in case. Like anything, results may vary!
    You could also try applying it to a tiny piece of fabric and hang that amongst the plants leaves, (W/o touching the leaves) to act as a repellent. I have found that to work also, as they don't like the smell either. Just don't rub your eyes after using it, and do wash your hands... a few times!

You might also try putting the plant into a fish tank w/a lid or some other clear container, so the cats can't get to it... if it is small enough.

Dads logic doesn't seem to hold up from what I see, for unless you are using one of those high wattage CFL's used in greenhouses and etc then the actual wattages are in fact rather low compared to incandescent bulbs. Hence why the recent push to "go green" and save energy by using CFL's to replace normal incandescent bulbs!

I use a couple of daylight 200w equivalent CFL bulbs in one of my set-ups with good results. They only use 40watts each! so 80 watts run for 2/3 of the day doesn't barely show on my electric bill.
    In fact, you can look online to find an "electricity usage and cost calculator", to figure out about how much it will actually cost to run your bulbs.

Spraying the plants or putting them in a container to protect them may help solve one of the problems you seem to have. It is worth a try, but proceed cautiously. What works for me may not work for you with the same results.

Good luck... with everything.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast