Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Nepenthes fan with questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand completely...My house is at capacity as far as animals go (roaches, python, gecko, axolotl, newt, cats) and each time in the past when I would get a new species I'd do a ton of research and try and create the perfect environment I could afford to make them happy and healthy.

I wasn't as strict when I started with my plants, and as a result, I was worried that my lack of terrariums and such would cause my plants to just get by without really thriving or pitchering, but the way they're growing and getting bigger and better all the time makes me think they must be happy with their setup. I hope you have similar luck no matter what setup you chose

P.S. I love your avatar; Monty Python rocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've been using the same avatar for years on all the forums I've visited.

I think I've found a good indoor spot to start out with a couple of plants, it's a corner with windows on both sides that should provide enough light that I don't need a supplement.

Edit: Despite the temptation to start out with more plants, I think Chris Himself has an excellent point. A somewhat bigger plant would be more hardy and exhibiting better pitchers in the near term which would be nice as well. I get some nicer looking specimens that will help fuel my interest and are more interesting to show to visitors. So, I think I prefer that route.

Consequently, I am now planning to get 2 or possibly 3 somewhat bigger plants to start out with. I'll post a list of some candidate species in a couple of days and you guys can help me select from them.
    Last edited by dboeren; 12-05-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you I'd start out with N. villosa and N. bicalcarata. They're some of the simplest most rewarding plants.

jks jksjksjs, sounds like everyone's given you pretty much all the advice you need for now.

So I'm just shamelessly raising my post count.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-05-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the plants at the nursery / Some plants are just hardier than others & will survive in less than optimal conditions
    But in the long run they wont make it if they receive improper care for long enough

If they're doing good for them at the nursery without proper care you might consider getting one since the clement is the same as yours
    &
    Just an FYI since you've never ordered Neps though the mail before
    Chances are that any pitchers that come on the plants will die off pretty quick
    Don't freak out if that happens
    Plants can go through shipping and/or environment change shock & might not look their best till they acclimate to their new home

Best Of Luck
    DC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting me know about the environment shock thing, I'll try not to feel too bad if the plants take a turn for the worse before they get better.

Here are a couple of cellphone pics I took at the nursery, what do you guys think? For reference, these are 6" hanging pots. This plant seemed to be the best specimen I could find.

Pic #1: You can see some of the pitchers are withered and brown over the upper half. Every pitcher had a dead lid. But other pitchers seem to still be in reasonable shape.

Pic #2: The leaves and main stem on the other hand seem to be healthy.

Pic #3: Also, there seem to be new pitchers forming. Some of them are withered like the one on the right.

If I were going to try to rehabilitate this plant, what would I do? Cut off the dead pitchers and lids? Anything else? If you cut off a pitcher, will the same leaf regrow a new one or do you need a new leaf to do that?

I'm not even sure I trust them to get the species right, the tag claimed that it's N. alata. Does that seem right?

Edit: One more thing. The person who took care of that section (Houseplants) was not present to answer questions. But, the guy who helped me find them was able to tell me that he'd been working at that location for 2 1/2 months and the plants had been there the whole time he was.
    Last edited by dboeren; 12-05-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless a pitcher is completely brown don't cut it off. Half-dead pitchers may be ugly, but they are still capable of digesting whatever is in the bottom of them. In fact, many of my plants have older pitchers that become half-dead like that and stay that way for a long time. I have heard that this may actually be a mechanism by which the plant can prevent rot by deterring more insects from entering while the ones that are already in there are digested. Also, if you cut one off you'll have to wait for a new leaf to get a new pitcher.

The leaves at the top are pretty small, but the plant seems to have a ton of different growth points. It looks to me like those little new pitchers are actually coming off of a basal. It looks really healthy. As long as you give it the correct conditions when you buy it I don't think you'll have any trouble at all.

It does look like N. alata to me. Also, if you ever want help identifying a species in the future, check out the cpphotofinder website. They have pictures of just about every kind of Nep there is, and usually it saves me some time to just look there.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-05-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, so what I took as a sign of dying pitchers may not really be that at all. It could just be after-effects of shipping stress or old pitchers. I still don't think it's the latter since it's happening on smaller pitchers and even on some baby pitchers, but at least it's not a sign that the plant as a whole is on the way out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, pitchers aren't the absolute sign of plant health. To me, it's actually roots. If your plant has adequate lighting (easiest CP in the world to achieve with) and a killer root system, it'll survive almost anything provided it's not one of the notably harder species to obtain success with.

For example, I have this N. x Miranda I've been trying to give away, abandon, even borderline neglect from time to time, and for some reason it just will not die. It gets what it needs from rain and sprinkler fallout, the sun obviously does it's job (btw this is nearly full sun, don't mimic this), and then I one day just decide to repot it out of mercy. It apparently became rootbound which is odd considering neps have gangly root systems, and it's still managing to pitcher IN WINTER, after I moved it inside under 75 watts of CFL lighting with 12 hours of light a day.

I attribute the success to the species, California, and a good starting stock from my favorite nursery.

PS. The odd thing is I can't seem to do conventional gardening very well...
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast