What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between N.arist x spect and N.spect. x arist.?

Hi, is there anybody knows the difference between N.aristolochioides x spectabilis and N. spectabilis x aristolochioides in the shape? From the pics, seems that the former has more shape of N.aristolochioides? But I am not sure. I've never grown any of the two neps.

It's my understanding that the mother plant is *usually* more dominate in crosses, so it appears your observation is correct.

Can you guess which is thorelli x aristo and which is aristo x thorelli?

exhibit a:

cp-jun2010-unknown.jpg

exhibit b:

cp-aug2010-aristoxthor002.jpg

Oooo, I have a guess. XD

You know, this post makes me realize that I know have to figure out which cross of a hybrid I want, cause I'm not gonna room for two of everything u.u'
HOW CAN YOU CHOOSE WHEN TWO PLANTS MAKE SUCH DIFFERENT RESULTS?!
:headwall:
I think I should just buy Borneo. I'm gonna need that much space.

Maybe Oprah will let you use a section of her island. o_O

Maybe Oprah will let you use a section of her island. o_O

Island!? She just bought mars, and she's terraforming it, you know what that is?, of course you don't, she invented it! I'm sure there's enough space on Mars for the plants :p

Back On topic though, this is a good reason for following the female first rule, other than knowing the sex of the each parent. that's why I like this system. Have you seen the light brokken ;)

She didn't. You're joking, right? Really? Mars? No. Naaahhhh, no way.

Haha, no, it's a reference from a joke from debra wilson who does a great Oprah impression.

Although, there's something I know she definitely owns, Dr. Phil.

exhibit a:

cp-jun2010-unknown.jpg

exhibit b:

That's fantastic pitchers. I've never known the difference is so bigggg! Is the former thorelli x aristo and the latter aristo x thorelli?

You know, this post makes me realize that I know have to figure out which cross of a hybrid I want, cause I'm not gonna room for two of everything u.u'
HOW CAN YOU CHOOSE WHEN TWO PLANTS MAKE SUCH DIFFERENT RESULTS?!
:headwall:
I think I should just buy Borneo. I'm gonna need that much space.

Fine.....but I've got dibs on Sumatra. ;)

Is the former thorelli x aristo and the latter aristo x thorelli?
That was my guess! *Crosses fingers and giggles with excitement and anticipation*

Trick question actually. They are both thorelii x aristo - from the same seed batch actually. One female (the top) and the bottom is male - but it goes to show you that even the same cross, same parents and same seed batch can yield very different results. I personally don't subscribe to the idea that the female has a stronger influence on the offspring.

Yeah, I remembered you had said that when I saw this thread. Darn, I was so excited!

Well, if the female things turns out to be a myth atleast we'll know which parent was which sex!

Trick question actually. They are both thorelii x aristo - from the same seed batch actually. One female (the top) and the bottom is male - but it goes to show you that even the same cross, same parents and same seed batch can yield very different results. I personally don't subscribe to the idea that the female has a stronger influence on the offspring.

That's interesting answer!

exhibit a:

cp-jun2010-unknown.jpg

exhibit b:

A: thorelli x aristo
B: aristo x thorelli

I could be wrong considering exhibit A is still small. But I don't think so..

i think the easiest way to look at this is via a bell/distribution curve.
bell%20curve.gif

you have each parent on the either side and all the offspring fall within the curve.
very few offspring will look completely like either parent, but as you approach the center of the curve, the blending of both parents becomes more obvious. brokken's plants are an excellent example of showing variance amongst the same batch of offspring. in his case, one plant reflects the thorelli parent, and the other reflects the aristo.

Back