Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes singalana Yellowing Leaf Margins

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should be patient. Moving it into a lighter mix was the right move - peat-based mixes can work for some people's conditions, but in a terrarium with controlled high humidity there's no need for something that dense. From your picture, it appears to be on the upswing to me. Nepenthes are finicky plants and they do things slowly - after almost a year of prolonged stress, you can't be surprised that it hasn't pitchered just a couple months after repotting.
    If you won't be satisfied until it pitchers, then by all means, don't fertilize! Pitchering is what these plants do in response to nutrient deficiencies - a well-fertilized plant has no reason to expend energy growing pitchers. If, in six months, you're still seeing yellowing and not getting pitchers, then something like coffee or a micronutrient fertilizer might be called for. Your new growth looks healthy, and those two newest tendrils both appear to me as though they could inflate. Burnt leaf margins happen - one of my healthiest plants, chainiana x vietchii, gets big orange and black discolorations on the leaves whenever they grow too close to the lights. Those spots will gradually brown and die and spread to cover everything except the midrib, but the burnt leaves still pitcher and hold on to their pitchers in spite of the browning.
    It isn't directly relevant, but I suggest reading the following:
    http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200.../faq6010e.html
    This is from an old version of Barry's CP FAQ. Among other things, one of the most important lessons I learned from this guide is that you can't be too patient with Neps, especially when starting out.
    Have some confidence - you're doing things right!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Joe!

I do believe you are right, all I need now is time. I appreciate the kind words saying that I'm doing things right. Many thanks!

Cj
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

I think it may be time for a little update on this one. I trimmed the moss and it didn't look good anymore, so I removed it. I was also worried about over-watering the plant accidently (since the moss would dry out and turn white way before the growing media needed more water). I did superthrive it back around mid-june, and it seemed to make it grow faster, but as you can see, its not exactly looking much healthier.

Let me know what you guys think, because I honestly can't decide if its getting better or worse.

As you can see, the leaves are still really sickly-yellow, and I wouldn't be surprised if this symptom makes for an obvious diagnosis that I dont know.

Thank you so much,
    CJ
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12