What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New N. aristolochioides Needs Help

So, this little guy just arrived in the mail today. The new growth is super tiny and some of the newer leaves seem to have died prematurely. The bottoms of the older leaves are discolored and remind me of the way my N. ventricosa looked when it had spider-mites. I sprayed it down with Green Light Neem II, quarantined it, and baggied it up for good measure. I've never had a plant arrive like this before. Can any of you help me determine if indeed this is a case of spider-mites or if not what is wrong with this plant? It was pretty expensive, and I'm not sure whether I should contact the seller or just try to help it recover or what. :/

Pictures:
68113_473813781774_654101774_5888935_2220439_n.jpg

IMG_1395b.jpg

Thanks for any help you can give!

It looks like the main grow point died and it's growing a new one. The old leaves look like they were subject to too much heat or a dry environment. This is a sensitive species that requires humidity. Looks like it will recover but maintain a good, moist environment until it recovers.

I hope you didn't pay over $30 for that...what brokken says I agree with.

the discoloration and deformity on the underside of the lower leaves dose look consistent with either thrips or mites. I need a wee bit more to tell for sure and that would be to look for mite eggs.....

MTF

It's in a baggy so the humidity should be very high. I'll keep it that way until it has recovered and then slowly bring the humidity down I guess.

Thez...it was more like double that price :C

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

What do mite eggs look like?

I would treat it for insects and fungus.. it's difficult to tell exactly whats going on but it's quite possible it's both although more like the former.
I would also be careful with excess moisture. You don't want the dead/dying leaves that are around that new growth point to get moldy and kill off the speck of healthy growth it has.

I keep scrolling up to look again and again and each time I am still amazed how a commercial nursery could ship something like that..There is no way that 'happened in transit' so it looked like that when it was packed... sad .. very very sad.

I removed some of the sphagnum at the base of the plant (I had actually added extra to help with the humidity). With that removed the plant will not be in contact with as much moisture. Hopefully this will prevent rot as Mr. Paroubek suggested.

I am in the middle of writing an email to the seller. I am not sure what to say exactly, but I'm hoping they will be helpful.

Thanks for all the replies so far and any further input is still welcomed!

i wonder if thats horrid nursery from Massachusetts, who i will not name but on several occasions have screwed several people over and made rude remarks and other horrid things...

I PMed you, but just for clarity to the other members here I will say this: it was actually not that Massachusetts nursery which must not be named. (And for those who are out of the loop on this, I'm not talking about Voldemort).

Looks like thrips.....I'm rather familliar with them and their calling cards, I recommend a systemic pesticide.

Back