What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Nepenthes

Care is exactly what everyone has been saying.
Kind of lost me here:). Do you mean treat it like a ventricosa?

Care is exactly what everyone has been saying.
Kind of lost me here:). Do you mean treat it like a ventricosa?

Just threw it into my terrarium. Seems to like it...its already growing a new leaf. Temps are 70-85, humidity is 58-70. I transplanted her into a bigger pot too. They had her in hard packed peat with LFS up top. There were no roots at all in the peat and it was 2/3 of the pot. It was like a block of compressed coco:p.

Shes in LFS and perlite now. Hopefully the roots will take off.

@dionae: semantics, semantics....there are a few people who believe 90% of the nepenthes circulated under the name 'ventricosa' are actually hybrids, specifically ventricosa x (alata x ventricosa) aka ventricosa x ventrata. this was due to poor record keeping techniques during earlier times.

the argument is made that true ventricosa have a highly restricted waistline as well as a flattened and frilled permistone. apparently, the true ventricosa is also a true highlander and actually aborts its pitchers if given intermediate conditions. it also produces basals once every blue moon which does support the statement that most "ventricosa" are indeed hybrids (hybrid vigor). an example of a "true" ventricosa would be the 'porcelain' or 'creme' variant. please do keep in mind i use quotes for "true" and "ventricosa" because i haven't settled my mind on it---just trying to give info on what i know.

typical ventricosa 'red' that you would find--tubby, curved red permistone, slightly narrow waste:
big_vent16xrl11.jpg

and the "true" ventricosa--highly constricted waist, flat, ruffled permistone:
N_Porcelain04.jpg

Thanks Amphirion! I've decided to just let it grow and see how it does in its current environment. Trying to pinpoint what it is looks like a difficult task. If it dies i'll be okay...if it lives...great:D! I really do appreciate everyones help though!

Keep in mind though that many nepenthes have multiple forms from different elevations....they don't neccessarily have to be hybrids......

@exo: in many cases you are right: truncata, mirabillis, raffie, amp, bical all have different forms and colors. but the argument comes from a comparison to the original type specimen of ventricosa.

for more insight:
http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nepenthes&action=display&thread=666

But here is something to ponder.....are we sure that the type specimen a pure ventricosa?

Not so simple, is it?

And look at the whole mirabilis complex.....they supossedly all the same species, and they look almost nothing alike.

@ amphirion

I have never seen N. ventricosa pitchers that big before! Thats amazing!

Whatever it is its growing fast:). Guess it likes my terrarium. Just ordered a N Sanguinea and i'm going to get another one this week to go with this one. Might buy one more nep then i'm done. Don't want to have to build anything too big when they get larger.

dscf9338.jpg

dscf9341.jpg

dscf9342.jpg

Cute :p

And that's how I started...hahaha welcome to the spiral towards collecting 100+ plants! :mwahaha:

That's a healthy little bugger! It wont be too long til it's growth sky-rockets I bet.

With some of these less finicky, more common Nepenthes growers can often find success on windowsills or just as average houseplants. :)

:DI already have about 50. Mostly VFTs though. I like the VFTs and Cephs the most. I want every cultivar there is of VFT. Hopefully, by the end of the summer i'll have them all...if I can find them.

I prob wont buy anything but typical cephs. The others are so expensive and imo no prettier than the typicals.

Soon as I can get into TCing i'll have plants in every room of my house:p.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

growers can often find success on windowsills or just as average houseplants.
Its growing so good in the terrarium i'm going to just leave it. As they get bigger i'll build an indoor case for them. I'd like something showy for them to grow in anyway. Atm, they aren't in a good place for visitors to see them.

Word, that is a good idea. All Nepenthes like being humid and warm especially when small. I'm just saying for comfort's sake, if one day you have beastly Nepenthes X that is outgrown the terrarium, don't be afraid to see how it does in the living room. :)

I'm getting 2 N. Sanguinea. I might try and grow one of those in my living room with my other houseplants:).

Wow, that just grows under a normal desklight? How long do you have it on each day?

I had the light on for roughly 8-10 hours a day.

Unfortunately, I killed the plant back in 2008. I trimmed off all the leaves for easy moving around (I was traveling across state) and I repotted it. It was too much shock for the plant and it rotted away.

I trimmed off all the leaves for easy moving around (I was traveling across state) and I repotted it. It was too much shock for the plant and it rotted away.

Note to self - Cutting off all of a plants leaves does not help. :D

That sucks though, seriously.

Looks a lot like ventricosa, though I've had (and bought) small ventratas that look like these.
Hard to tell before some maturing.

Thanks justjack:)!

Back