Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are neps for me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    High temps?......well, sounds like you should switch over to lowlanders, they will grow fast in your temps.....gonna need to find a way to raise the humidity though.
    Great! They'll do very well in the summer and die in the winter. We can get frost here.

I've come to the conclusion that nepenthes do not grow well in my area of San Diego. They grow, but not well. Therefore, I will just keep some to have them, but I'm not going to focus on them.

I've visited mid-california, and by the cost arournd santa maria and a little higher...Oxnard, neps should grow well...highlland neps. Looks just like the photos of their natural habitat.

Yes, neps can thrive here if grown in a cooled greenhouse....or a heated one. Take your pick of highlanders of lowlanders. But this is impractical.

I live in a meditarranian climate. Things that grow well here are South African dews, Austrailian dews, Drosophyllum, sarracenia, probably cephs (haven't tested it yet) vfts, warm temperate things, mexi-pings, and of course--cacti.

Helis, neps, highland utrics, and probably things I'm forgetting don't grow well if just put outside without any microclimate. Doesn't mean they don't grow.

Lets just say it's a good thing I love the desert, since that's almost where I live. Our natural vegitation is costal scrub--inland shrubbery with cactus mixed in. I grow 6 species of cactus that grow naturally in my area! And there are more I don't have. Just cuz I want to talk about them, there are these succulents that are winter growing here. They die back in the summer, and emerge in the winter. It's really cool. I live very close to a large colony...the colony is right between a road and a park on a slope. Right in the middle of developement. But it disappears in the summer, to reappear in the winter. They can be grown all year round in cultivation.

I probably sound pretty silly to all you folks growing neps up north and such, but in all honesty, I like things that grow well where I live...when left to their own devices for the most part.

No, I'm not getting rid of my neps. I'm going to let them grow and just keep observing them. Meanwhile I'll admire my dewy pines

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really cool actually.

I was born in California and have a lot of family around the San Diego area. I really like the terrain there but never spent enough time to really get familiar with many of the native species.

That's cool that you grow the indigenous plants! They are the ones that will grow best. I'd love to see the succulent you are talking about.

But... Your Nepenthes, they wont grow any better if you leave them alone.

I could be wrong, but I do believe that if you just mist your Nepenthes as much as you can, they will respond.

You're right though, your climate doesn't sound ideal.... Neither is mine, so I just stick with micro-climates.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel isn't that close to the coast, but he does spritz down his nep vines and the moss on top of their soil every morning just enough to leave them slightly damp all day long - with all that foliage, it bumps his local humidity so his back yard is effectively a nep micro-climate. My plants...they're all like 4"er rosettes, so 1/4 of a foot of vine is actually a lot to me. And I had a jacquelinae live through a couple days of 100 degrees and come out of it with just a little deformed leaf, but it's still alive.

I agree with Dex, if you mist them daily in addition to your watering schedule, they will do infinitely better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    That's really cool actually.

I was born in California and have a lot of family around the San Diego area. I really like the terrain there but never spent enough time to really get familiar with many of the native species.

That's cool that you grow the indigenous plants! They are the ones that will grow best. I'd love to see the succulent you are talking about.

But... Your Nepenthes, they wont grow any better if you leave them alone.

I could be wrong, but I do believe that if you just mist your Nepenthes as much as you can, they will respond.

You're right though, your climate doesn't sound ideal.... Neither is mine, so I just stick with micro-climates.
    I would like to know what the succulent is, personally. I just went exploring today and found another colony of cactus. Besides the non-native plants, almost all the cacti seems to be growing on slopes (probably because all the good land has been developed). I found 4 types: succulent, cholla, small barrel cactus (only 2 ), and of course prickly pear. These pears had short thorns...maybe there were two species actually. There were some really large specimins of the mentioned plant and lots of seedlings. I took one of the little guys home.

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Joel isn't that close to the coast, but he does spritz down his nep vines and the moss on top of their soil every morning just enough to leave them slightly damp all day long - with all that foliage, it bumps his local humidity so his back yard is effectively a nep micro-climate. My plants...they're all like 4"er rosettes, so 1/4 of a foot of vine is actually a lot to me. And I had a jacquelinae live through a couple days of 100 degrees and come out of it with just a little deformed leaf, but it's still alive.

I agree with Dex, if you mist them daily in addition to your watering schedule, they will do infinitely better.
    Ok. I may mist them...but maybe not in the winter.

And I totally over estimated the growth. the small ones only got 1 inch taller and the medium one 2 inches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide you dont want them SDCPs you can always send them to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123