What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Would Happen...

dionae

sarracenia lover
If I topped my Nepenthes? Would it branch out? Would it die?

As long as the plant has a healthy rosette it would most likely send out either a basal or two, or activate another node along the stem.

Depending on the species, it most likely wouldn't die.

You can top a two foot ventricosa with no problems and probably be able to root the topped cutting and get another plant going. However, you don't want to top your inch-wide argentii from AW. :-))

:pThanks. I'm just curious really. I know my lil nep is too small to chop on. Besides its starting a new pitcher:D.

Are neps the fastest growing CPs? Mine seems to be growing a lot faster than everything else.

Nepenthes are not typically the fastest growing carnivores.

I'm sure there are some species of Sundew that grow much faster than most Nepenthes.

Not really interested in sundews for some reason. I have the only one i've seen that I like. D. Venusta. Might look around for some that look similar to that. I've only had my nep for a week and it has a new leaf and one of the lil fuzzy leaf tips has a pitcher top now.

I guess I just expected trouble out of the nep after reading how some can be finicky. My mystery nep seems very happy.

Some hybrids or more "easy" neps can grow pretty darn fast, no doubt about it.

There are so many Sundews out there.... I'd really be shocked if venusta was the only one you thought was cool. :scratch:

I personally love capensis, I think it's a great plant, beautiful, easy, and effective at killing house bugs.

I'd really be shocked if venusta was the only one you thought was cool.
Probably isn't. I just haven't put as much time into looking at them as I have VFTs, Cephs, Sarrs and Neps. I like the droseras with the red tint a lot but there are so many that venusta, prob because i have it, is the only one that stands out. I really don't like the structure of the capensis though I have one of those too:p. I like pitchers and traps and vivid colors....really what attracts me to CPs.

Back