Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Nepenthes Around X-mas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright thanks Jeremiah.

Mass - that's terrible! What kind of plant was that?

Should I use even just one heat pack?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Alright thanks Jeremiah.

Mass - that's terrible! What kind of plant was that?

Should I use even just one heat pack?
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...ght=King+Tiger

You really should be asking Jeremiah.. since it's his plant, his preference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I ordered two Nepenthes something like two weeks before Christmas. I remember it took them 5 days to arrive via priority mail with tracking. That's not the only time that has happened to me, either. Maybe I just have bad luck, but in my experience, USPS is not the most reliable service--especially during times of heavy mail traffic. I also had a plant freeze in the mail last year. It was only in the mail for a few days, it did not sit in the mailbox at all, and it was very well packed, but it was apparently exposed to some very cold temperatures during shipping:

While I wouldn't want you to cook your plant like Mass's, I have seen the benefits of using heating pads in moderation. Several of my plants were shipped with them last year and all of them came through just fine. I remember once I bought a few smaller plants which were packed with two heating pads, and they were right up against them when I opened the box, but none showed any signs of stress. (Although I definitely wouldn't recommend trying that yourself...)

The bottom line: usually priority mail will arrive just fine, with or without a heating pad. However, I know this plant is really special to you, so I wanted to make sure you had all the evidence. I wish you and your fanged beauty the best of luck during shipping

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Raven, that's really valuable input.

I feel like the USPS is just such an unknown. I shipped a CD once and they managed to snap that in half.

I'm thinking I might wait until after Christmas after hearing your story. I can deal with three days, but five sounds like pushing it.

And I really don't know where the mail will stop en route to the Rocky Mts.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    Imagine multiple sources of 115*F all pouring heat on your plant.. not good.
    The surface temp of a Uniheat 72-hour bag is only 115* for about 4 hours, and then it starts dropping to about 100*. That's really not a very hot temp at all, particularly for a lowlander. As long as your plant isn't in direct contact with the surface of the heat packs, you should be fine.

Also, the temperature of separate packs isn't additive. Multiple packs won't cause the package temp to somehow raise above 100-115*. The only thing that adding multiple packs will do is cause the package temperature to reach 100-115* faster, and resist the external temperature longer. You will also definitely need that humidity bag you talked about, since that heat can really dry out a plant.

Mass: Since I do ship a lot of Neps around the country, I'm interested in how a heat pack did that to your plant. That looks a lot like frost-burn, but I've never seen what cooking a plant looks like. Was the plant sealed to keep from drying-out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I feel like the USPS is just such an unknown.
    In general USPS Priority Mail works well. It's obviously not foolproof - but nothing is (unless you want to pay for overnight).

Ever since another grower forwarded me a link to a website detailing good mailing procedures which actually recommended shipping on Sat, I have usually tried to ship on Sat and get a Monday delivery over 90% of the time (continental US).

However, when the weather is unusually hot or cold, check that someone is there to receive the package so it doesn't sit outside. Just today, my mailman hung a package full of plants on the mailbox. If I wasn't watching for him, they would have sat in sub-30*F temps for hours ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional input guys.

I have heard about the Saturday trick. Maybe that is what I will do. I don't doubt the postal service's ability to deliver on time, but sometimes what happens between shipping and arriving is so dubious!

Still up in the air over the heat-pack issue, though.

Multiple heat-packs? just a few heat packs? I was prepared to use 'em all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use heat packs.....several of them....one heat pack is needed per square foot.....to actually damage a plant, they would actually need to touch it, so wrap them lightly in newspaper and tape them to the walls of the box...red line on the pack facing inwards.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast