Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Building my new Nepenthes habitat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
    Oh, that is SO friggin' cool. I wonder if you couldn't redirect the refrigeration (since you don't seem to be terribly interested in using it in its conventional sense... are you?)
    The main issue with the cooling is that it's out of adjustment. It's quite loud which means my wife wouldn't put up with it. It may or may not work well, or efficiently. To be reliable for ongoing use I'd really need to have a service tech come in and restore it. Anyway, it's not part of the project for the near future but I might look into it down the line if I decide to grow something that needs cooler temps.

However, it is located in our basement which is cooler than the main floor of the house so that may help a little.

I can pick up some mylar no problem, just wondering if what I've already got around the house would be just as good. I've only spent $16 so far on this project so there's easily money left in the budget for minor items like this and quite honestly increasing my light with mylar is far more efficient in the long run than buying and running more fluorescent fixtures anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can see adjustable overhead lights on top of the whole thing, strung up by pulleys. raise them up when you want to open the top. lower them when you're done.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like the lights and fan put out a significant amount of heat after all.

Early tests seem to indicate that during daytime it will be about 83 degrees. Opening the top further can drop this some but this also reduces the humidity. With everything off it should drop to around the mid 60's at night (but maybe warmer in the summer). I should be able to confirm this tonight.

Humidity seems to be pretty controllable by adjusting how much gap I leave in the top. I plan to put a piece of masking tape by each of the doors and mark the humidity at various positions to use as a guide for daily use. It may be possible to have one side a little more humid than the other by having that half be more closed but I'm not sure how much different this will really have.

It seems to me that these conditions would best match Highland plants, do you agree? It doesn't have as sharp of a nighttime drop as might be ideal but the daytime should be a very good match.
    Last edited by dboeren; 12-27-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    concerning light, i highly recommend the t5 high output lights....they might be initially expensive, but they are very much worth the cost and end up paying for themselves. i've realized that amount of money i spent upgrading my lights ended up being higher than if i had initially just purchased the t5s in the first place. that being said, if there are financial restrictions keeping you from doing so, just do with what you can.

also line the sides of your interior with mylar.
    After reading up some on lighting, I'm inclined to agree w/ amphirion. t5 bulbs are going to be a must to get my lumens up high enough. Fortunately, the prices don't seem that horrible. Maybe they've come down in recent times.

Is there any general consensus yet on the use of actinic blue bulbs w/ nepenthes? Most of the reasonably priced fixtures I'm finding come with two actinic blue bulbs and two daylight bulbs (they're designed for coral reef aquariums). Granted, I can replace the actinics with more daylight but I've also seen posts claiming that plants are good at absorbing the blue spectra so if switching to daylight bulbs aren't going to benefit the plant any I might as well leave them in there.

After I get a fixture I'll have to redo my temperature measurements since they may go up some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont use blue actinic bulbs with CPs. just as they are useless in planted tanks, they'll be useless in growing CPs as well. you should aim for anything from 4000-10,000 K range. there are people who do like to mix up different combinations and ratios of bulbs, but that ends up being expensive. the most popular and readily available bulbs are the 5000K and the 6700K bulbs.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to find a good deal on a 48" 4x54watt fixture that is all 6500K bulbs, so that should be arriving here sometime next week. Even better, I had a 10% off eBay coupon that was expiring in a few days so I saved a little extra too

When it comes in I'll post updated pics and the new temperature readings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a small update. I've cleaned off the top of the machine (I may remove the clock as well). Later I might plan to get a new set of letters for the signboard so I can list what species are currently growing. Ever since we moved a year ago I haven't been able to find my box of letters...

Here's the exterior view cleaned off:

And here's the interior view:

As you can see I've put in a liner to keep things clean and nice looking, also if any water spills it will keep the bottoms of the pots from sitting directly on it. There are four small plastic tubs running across the rear of the machine which are my water pans to keep humidity up, they're easy to refill and fit through the top openings with no tilting.

Overall, my temperature and humidity are controlled by adjusting how much crack I leave in the top opening, and I can add/remove water pans. So, if it's too hot I can open the top more and if this drops the humidity too much a bit more water should bring it back up. Tomorrow I'm expecting my 48" 4 bulb T5 fixture to arrive and I'll do my final measurements of the growing conditions at different vent levels (marking them on a strip of masking tape next to the doors. I'll post a pic tomorrow with the T5 light in place.

Then, it will finally be time to order some plants to populate it! I'm planning to get around 4 plants to start, with a mix between very easy species like ventricosa and some slightly more intermediate ones. I'm also sticking to relatively inexpensive plants in the beginning in case I kill them off. If the plants do well then I'll think about stepping up to some fancier stuff later on. Eventually, if plants start outgrowing my cooler I'll transition the hardier ones into houseplants or figure out something else to do. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

Some of the plants I'm considering, any comments or advice about them is welcome:

N. burbidgeae 'Pig Hill' (beautiful plant and quite cheap)
    N. rafflesiana 'Brunei Red Giant' (not sure if this will grow well in my conditions though...)
    N. ventricosa or ventricosa x ephippiata, (standard beginner plant with maybe a little extra zing)
    N. mirabilis var echinostoma (purple with weird little tentacles on the peristome - also cheap)
    N. jacquelineae (sort of pricy but very different and nepenthesaroundthehouse claims they're easy)
    Potentially some sort of hybrid with lowii or veitchii?

I think I'm open to getting one more expensive plant, so long as the others are inexpensive. I'm considering a hybrid with N. rafflesiana to get a more robust plant that will do better in my habitat rather than the pure species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. burbidgeae and N. raffle will not mix.

you're going to need to figure out whether to chose Highland Plants or Darkside i mean Lowland Plants. Once you know which ones are best fitted for your setup (im assuming highland) you can select from that group thereafter.

HLs/Intermediates (from your list): burbidgeae, ventricosa and hybrids, jacquelineae, lowii and hybrids, veitchii

LLs: rafflesiana and mirabilis var echinostoma.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast