Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Building my new Nepenthes habitat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find most lowlands do ok as highlands......cant go the otherway though.....have some lowlands growing like weeds with my highlands like burb and macrophylla.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be pretty much a highlands to intermediate climate. So, I probably have to cut the raffles unless it's crossbred with a highlander. No problem, plenty more species to choose from.

I did not realize mirabilis would be too picky, I read that mirabilis is the most widely distributed nepenthes so I was thinking that it would be able to cope with a wide variety of conditions. Of course, that was talking about mirabilis in general and not specifically echinostoma. Anyway, I can potentially replace that with another dark species like a ramispina sp. or hybrid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow--this is going to be so epic when you are finished. I can't wait to see it populated in the future!

I have one plant called N. smilesii which looks similar to N. miribilis and similar species of lowlanders, but it can grow happily in highland conditions. You might want to watch out for that species in the future if you like the way those lowlanders look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very corporate... so, your a Pepsi guy right?

Perhaps THIS sellers plants would be suitable... they seem to have an affinity to Coca-Cola

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no relation to either company. We got the Coke machine and some related stuff as gameroom decorations - the room immediately to the right of my "greenhouse" has four pinball machines, a skeeball, gumball machine, and a couple of stand-up arcade games (Ms. Pacman and Robotron).

In our old house we used to use the menu board to track pinball high scores but it hasn't been put up here and there's not as good a place for it in the actual game room so I'm thinking of repurposing it to list what species I'm currently growing. I found some places last night that sell the letters as I still haven't found the box with the rest of my old ones.

Amphirion is correct as usual, burbidgeae is in fact VERY highland as I found out after some more digging and would certainly not be able to cohabitate with even a mild lowlander. Changing from one big water pan to four small ones seems to be working better as I can now produce the same humidity level at a lower temp than before. Looking good for highlanders but burbidgeae probably wants cooler nights than I'm going to have.

My T5 fixture just arrived! So, I'm going to read the directions and hook that up shortly. Then it will be a little while to let it run and see how much effect it has on my temp & humidity. So, look for an update later tonight with pics of the new lights in place.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

OK, the new light has been unpacked and installed. It certainly does put out a lot of light with 4x54 watt 48" T5 bulbs and I'm sure my plants will thank me for it.

Now I'm just going to let it run for a couple of hours and see how much it raises the temperature.
    Last edited by dboeren; 01-04-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, these bulbs put out quite a lot of heat after all (even if it is less than other types of lights). My temp is up around 90 and I don't want to reduce the humidity too much. I'm going to try adding spacers to elevate the lights a bit and see how that goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like everything is squared away now. I elevated the lights a little and this put the temp back in the range I want it plus it looks nicer anyway.

Temp is about 86 degrees, humidity around 40%. I moved my ventrata I got from a local Pike nursery in there today, maybe it can recover and start thriving again. And yes, I do need to get a larger spray bottle for misting

Still working on figuring out my order, so many of the plants I really want are sort of expensive so it's hard to balance quality vs. quantity starting out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    86F is pretty hot....and 40% humidity is really low......you might want to rethink things a bit.....
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast