Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my new Nepenthes habitat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building my new Nepenthes habitat

I've been thinking of the best way to raise my new Nepenthes collection that I'll be working on, and I think I just came up with a killer idea.

First, I need to a way to keep the humidity up, which generally suggests a relatively sealed environment.

Second, I need a way to provide light. My wife doesn't want me to hang ugly fluorescent tubes around the house so it has to to look nice or be unobtrusive.

Third, it needs adequate room.

Originally, I was looking at fishtank solutions. A lot of people do these and they work. I've got a 40 gallon breeder that's unoccupied, but I'd need to buy a top, lights, and probably some sort of stand. Also, that's not all that big.

I also considered a mini-greenhouse (the bookshelf kind). This would have to go outside though and I'd rather have my collection where I can view it and not deal with outdoor pests and things. Further, you can't view the plants easily without opening it up and letting all the humidity out.

Earlier tonight it hit me, I think I've already got the ideal habitat almost set up and just waiting for me to do something with it! There will be a little work to get it ready, but not much, and almost no expense.

It's already sealable with sliding glass doors on top so I can regulate the humidity and look down into it. It already has two 24" fluorescent light fixtures in it. It already has a built-in fan for circulation, and a cooler if I ever want it (although the cooler is kind of noisy). It's totally self-contained, easy to clean, and with a little sealer I can make it water tight. It's got room to store supplies on top, looks good, and forms a natural display case that people will be interested to look at. And most importantly, I told my wife about my idea and she's on board with it

What the heck could I possibly have lying around that fills all these criteria? Check it out:

My plans are to seal the one drain hole inside, trim the cardboard we've got it on to look nicer, and install my thermometer/hygrometer. I may set up a remote display above the unit later on. Inside I'm going to run some humidity tests and see what level it keeps using different methods. I'm not planning on ordering more plants until the weather warms up a little so I should have plenty of time to get everything squared away. I'm also planning a trip to Home Depot to get a couple extra bulbs and a timer to run it on (there's an outlet right next to it and nothing else plugs in there).

What do you think, sirs?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! I've wanted to do this for a long time, but I discovered several years back that I can grow almost all the plants I want as houseplants so I never ended up putting it together.
    Best luck with it - I'll be looking forward to hearing your results.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! Please photo document your work on this!

I've always wanted to get one of those large 6 ft tall x 10 foot long supermarket coolers they sell frozen pizzas out of and put a naturalistic HL Nep display in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is interested in doing a similar setup, go to the local gas station and look at those for sale/trade pulp magazines. That's where I found my cooler and it was only $100, although I did have to rent a small truck to take it home. You might check with local vending companies and see if they've got anything they're wanting to get rid of - possibly one with a broken cooling unit that's not worth repairing.

Tomorrow I'll start taking and posting pics of the interior as I work on it and I'll post what I find out on how well it holds humidity. The fan may pull air out of the unit (see the suspicious looking grating in the lower left?), so if it does and the humidity drops too much I'll have to go in and disconnect it or block the outlet or something.

If it turns out I can grow my plants more as houseplants without enhanced humidity that's fine too, and it will ease the transition if/when I move them out later. But I still need a place to keep them and some lighting. This provides both in a unique and cool package

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

I couldn't wait, so here's some more...

The interior dimensions are 61" long by 22.5" wide by 19" high. That's roughly equivalent to a 113 gallon fish tank according to the calculator I plugged the numbers into.

The top is split into two halves, each with an independent sliding glass window.

This is an image looking straight down into the left window. You can see the one drainage hole that I'll probably want to plug up just to make sure no spilled water can run down onto our carpet. Otherwise the inside has no other seams or cracks

This is looking down into the right closed window, as you can see transparency is fairly good. It's less good on the left where the word "Coke" is written across the glass in white.

This is holding the camera inside the right side and angling left so you can see down the length. That big thing on the wall is the fan assembly. I can remove it or disable it if I need to.

Finally, this is the camera pointed at the front inside wall. The fluorescent light is on top, and you can see the little holes that serve some unknown purpose. There's another row of them low down about 1" off the floor. I don't think they'll matter for what I'm doing, just the one hole in the bottom center.

The fan pulls outside air, and blows it into the cooler. So, that shouldn't kill my humidity I think. I'll want to sand it a little at the rust spots and then kind of wash it out. It's not that dirty, mainly just dust. It will never look clean enough to eat off of but then again I don't need it to be. It's all metal, and there are no seams at the edges, I guess it's welded or something. That means water spills are pretty insignificant once the single drain hole is blocked which I can probably do with a little duct tape. I don't need it to hold water for fish, just stop small spills from draining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to line the bottom with some sort of plastic. Looks like it should be a nice terrarium when its all setup. Great idea and good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would not permanently plug that drain hole if i were you, it would be nice to have a way to flush all the crap out if you ever need to.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would make an ideal Heliamphora terrarium, with some additional lighting. Running the refrigeration unit at night, with a suitable thermostat, would allow for the temperature difference that this species likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool idea! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast