What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dripping N. fusca

I only grow a few Nepenthes, as I don't have ideal conditions for them, but one that does OK for me in N. fusca (flared peristome). The pitchers on this plant 'drip' with nectar...

pic2.JPG

pic1.JPG

Oooh, it's like the drooly Deroose Alata I used to have a year ago. Gave it away because it would always slime my hair up because it was over my kitchen sink :p

Lick it up!

Wow... my Fusca died. I'm extremely jealous!

Wow... my Fusca died. I'm extremely jealous!
That's a shame. I find mine to be tolerant of neglect. I often forget to water it but it survives. Maybe it wouldn't like being too wet though. I have it in a tall pot full of a very open soil mix, consisting primarily of bark chips, lumps of 'burning peat', a small amount of dried Sphagnum moss and gravel (I can't remember if I put anything else in it, just mixed up a load of open looking growing mediums).

Wow, I read that some people used peat as fuel but I didn't know that the practice was still in use today. All the same, your fusca looks wonderful and whatever you're doing, it's working. :)

Wow, I read that some people used peat as fuel but I didn't know that the practice was still in use today. All the same, your fusca looks wonderful and whatever you're doing, it's working. :)
It's not very common, but it is still available in sacks around here. It's easy to distinguish the houses that are burning it, as it has a very distinctive smell. The local stuff is in 'log' form and the diameter is always approximately 5cm (2"), leading me to believe that it is processed in some way. Below is a picture of a typical log, which I smash up into smaller pieces to use as a growing medium.

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

The structure is very fibrous.
pic3.JPG

The flared peristome form is neat, but it just never gets bigger! Does anybody have one with, say, 8 inch pitchers? Mine stays stubbornly at 2-3 inch pitchers.

Back