User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions regarding recent adjustments to subtropical/highlands terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions regarding recent adjustments to subtropical/highlands terrarium

Hey folks, just joined the forums though I have been lurking and reading people's threads for a while.

I have had a subtropical/highlands terrarium set up in a 10g aquarium since July and everything has grown well without issue so far, excepting the venus flytrap (now dead) which doesn't do well in terrariums like this anyhow.

I recently made some changes in lighting, as well as added two more highlands neps. I originally only had N. ventricosa, which seems to be really easy to grow. I have had no problems with mine except the one I abused by trying to grow it out of a hole I drilled in a log (it was going to "look" cool, but the sphagnum stayed too dry as close as it was to the lights), I replanted it and it is coming back, just stunted compared to my other.

My lights were, as of starting, two overhead fixtures that fit incandescent bulbs, but instead I put in the highest powered coiled fluorescent bulbs I could find (26w, rated as 75w if incandescent) and 3500k. These did well, but I recently decided to add in a power compact fixture that has two 65w fluorescent bulbs. I need to get the right bulbs, but right now it came with a 12000k daylight lamp, and a 50/50 actinic/plant bulb, that I do not know the kelvin rating on (but I do know I don't need actinic!)

My issue is that the fixture gets very warm, and now my terrarium is reaching new highs of 80-85F during the day, but I can get a drop to about 65-68F at night. I know N. ventricosa probably won't care, but I am worried the new N. singala 'Belirang' and N. spectalabis x aristolochiodes won't appreciate such high temperatures.

Humidity is around 55-60% during the day, and about 80-85% at night.

Picture of terrarium:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple way to get the temperature to drop would be to replace or take out one of your more high-powered bulbs with a less powerful "white" lighted bulb. Any CFL that puts off a whitish light instead of a reddish light will also put off less heat.

If you're worried about the temps being too high you can sacrifice your light output. But at the same time... I wouldn't be surprised if your plants managed to do well as long as they get that hefty temp drop at night.

I've been growing many of highlanders into the 80's for a while now. They aren't exemplary by any means but still doing just fine.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temperature (85F) is not a problem for your neps. As Dexenthes said, they will acclimate to such temperature range. But such temperature range may be a problem for some other neps. Your terrarium is beautiful.
    My Grow-List and Want-List
    If you know other unique plants that can walk, can talk, can sing, or can eat people, please tell me and I definitely want to get one.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice terrarium, and I agree, temps in the 80s aren't anything to worry about. If you are worried just use lower output lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the bulbs inside the tank or outside? You can place a small CPU fan between the lights and the tank or on the ballast of the lights and have the fan blow the hot air away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you folks!

Rob, the lights are on top of the tank, so technically outside. I am probably going to set up a CPU fan for the nighttime temps, as I really feel like high 60s aren't low enough. But during the day I am satisfied with the current day temps around 85, as I haven't seen any adverse effects on the plants yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something also to consider is that it is probably cooler then the readout on your thermometer down where the plants actually are- away from the lights. My thermometer is higher in my terrarium, like yours, and I never let it get above 80*F there, and for a while I had a thermometer lower in the set up, for whatever reason, and it was usually a good 5* cooler... at least during the day, I never checked during the night.

Hope this helps!
    Cj
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you can't see it in the photo, but it is actually directly under a light. I did think about that though, and put the thermometer on the ground where the plants are about mid-day and it stayed the same temperature 80-85, I'll have to test it at night too though. The humidity guage is the one that suffers the most though, as being under a light it shows 30-35% sometimes, but just above the plants is about 55-60%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast