What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Any Neps Stay Small

• Thread starter dionae
  • Start date

dionae

sarracenia lover
Looking for info on neps that dont get too tall in comparison to most neps:). Any help greatly appreciated and i'd love pics if anyone has any. Thanks!

N. argentii, N. glabrata in the HLers and N. bellii is a good nep that stays small, but N. bellii is a LL.

N. bellii-button!

Last edited by a moderator:
N. campanulata as well.

N. tentaculata generally stays pretty compact, and can produce a ton of pitchers.

NEP-TEN-3.jpg

(Photo by Drew Martinez)

Among all of those, I would say that N. argentii is the most temperamental. It has a very narrow range of conditions that it likes...and if it is disturbed once, good luck trying to get it back into good growing phase. I did disturb it and haven't seen proper pitcher/leaf production / rate of growth for over an year.

N. argentii is temperamental to change in conditions, but that being said, mine that I just received has put out a new leaf at a rate that I wasn't expecting! So it can or can not be really difficult to grow for some people, but regardless, whether it is thriving or struggling it will be a very small Nepenthes.

Also, I've heard that N. talangensis remains somewhat smaller than most Nepenthes for a long time. But as others have said, N. glabrata and N. tentaculata are two other safe bets.

I've found that all neps stay small.*

* In my care. No matter what I do my neps stay small and hate me :jester:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think it depends a lot on how much maintenance you're willing to do. Some species can be kept at a manageable size with pruning, such as N. ampullaria, but on their own wouldn't really qualify as small for long. There are also some species with small leaves/pitchers that will manage to throw vines all over the place if you let them. I don't think there are too many Neps that just don't get tall - mostly just ones that take a long time to do so.
My N. ventricosa x inermis has stayed pretty compact, as has my DeRoose's N. alata (when it isn't vining.) If something ends up being too tall you could always make cuttings and give away the rootstock.
~Joe

Thanks Joe!

Any of you know where I can get any of the recommended neps?

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Nm...thanks!

don't forget N. gymnamphora! & N. mikeii!

Thanks!

I'll throw in a hybrid, spectabilis x aristolochioides.

Thanks nightsky!

Thanks Joe!

Any of you know where I can get any of the recommended neps?

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Nm...thanks!
Be aware that highlanders can be fussy about conditions though. My glabrata just sits doing nothing.

glabrata,
One of mine is 4 years old and about 2 in. in diameter.

Thanks for the tips:)!

Although, I have a glabrata that became 6 inches wide and 3' tall before I hacked it into pieces. No cuttings worked..but it made a basal and now the main vine with foliage over an year old has made a new growth point at the top.

I must say though..campanulata is one true non-vining nep along with argentii.

Furthermore, if you can grow these two very very different neps (in their requirements and narrow ranges of comfort) into some great specimens, trust me,they are among the most picture perfect plants in this genus.

Thank you vraev!

Back