What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Cuttings

I have a Nepenthese alata that is getting very large and I would like to try to take a vine off of it and make some cuttings. I been reading Carnivorous Plants of the World and and getting the cuttings going seems pretty stright forward but what my question is one of the vines that I want to take a cutting of has a second vine growing at a node just above the leaf already. Can I just cut off the sucker vine and treat it the same as a cutting and have it take root or will it need to be treated differently. I will be heading out for some root start and fungicide this afternoon to attempt this project tomorrow after work. I look foward to readying everyone replys.

Yeah, you can treat it just like any other cutting, but you probably don't need the fungicide....as a matter of fact, I find that some fungicides inhibit rooting, and kill the cutting.

I would suggest using liquid hormones to treat your cuttings or just soak them in plain distilled water for a while.
I use Hormex because that's what's easily available but occasionally some local shops have the Superthrive. I have never noticed a difference between the effects of the two however I don't recommend using the dry powders. I made a set of cuttings with Rootone powder and got the worst strike rate ever almost none made roots and those who did were weak. Using no hormones at all was better than that stuff. :(

Thanks guys for the tips. I was not able to make it out to go look for some root start hormones, I was blindsided by a nap late in the afternoon and was unable to fight it off. So I am going to go and look for some of the root starter that was recomemded. Thanks again.

I made this thread a while ago about cuttings. I don't remember exactly anymore, but some species of Nepenthes do not root as well as others in distilled water, but I think N. alata is one that did. Might be worthwhile if you have a couple different cuttings to try an experiment.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114216

Keep us posted.

xvart.

Back