What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I Caring For This Cutting Correctly?

Vbkid

Getting There...
I received this rooted cutting of N. x Miranda a couple weeks agao and just want to verify that my conditions for it are currently ok.

Here are some pictures of my setup and the plant:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/5328427388/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/5327815849/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/5328423968/

It is on a sunny window sill, with an additional double light strip above it, it gets misted several times a day and has distilled water in the bottom of the container.

Any advice or recommendations is appreciated as always. Seeing as this was a generous gift, I am doing my best to make sure I give it as great a chance of surviving as possible. The newest leaf emerging from the center has been growing slowly, and at least 2 leaves still look a healthy green.

Thanks,
Kyle

maybe put a clear bag over it for a while to help it acclimate. over a period of weeks, create a hole in the bag, then slowly make it larger as the weeks pass by, it should be completely acclimated to your conditions by the time the bag is completely torn open. the growth tip looks like it's gone through a slight frying---the leaf will develop but the pitcher will not, hopefully the one after it will be just fine. good luck!

They look a little dry. If I were you, I'd cut the leaves in half and like Amph says: Put a plastic bag over the whole thing to keep the humidity up.

I managed to fit a gallon bag over the entire plant without squishing or breaking anything, do I still need to mist often, or will the bag take care of the humidity inside well enough? Also, will I need to remove the bag to top water the plant every so often?

A transparent bag, I hope. The way I do it is to have a small dish filled with water under the plant. I fill this up and not bother to spray inside the bag. Others may do it differently.

There one thing I see. One you should not leave water in the bottom. You can have a little water in the bottom for a day or so but if it is not gone then I would dump it. Neps like to be a little on the dryer side. I water mine maybe once a week. You want the media to mostly dry out before the next watering.

As for the bag you will have to remove it to water, and you should not have to spray it as much. The bag will keep the humidity very high. When you start to open (cut a hole in it) you might want to start spraying again.

Yes I used a clear Gallon Ziploc, and I will definitely set the nep on a plate or something in it so that it isn't sitting in water. I wasn't sure about it before, but should have just done it to begin with!

I managed to fit a gallon bag over the entire plant without squishing or breaking anything, do I still need to mist often, or will the bag take care of the humidity inside well enough? Also, will I need to remove the bag to top water the plant every so often?
Misting, without a somewhat enclosed environment, is not going to help raise humidity. Misting only raises the relative humidity (very slightly) for only a few minutes and then dispersed throughout the rest of the room.

Even with this in mind, I still misted my plants when I had my grow rack just for interaction with my plants. You know, more of a loving gesture than an actual utility effort.

It's a good looking N. Miranda. Good luck!

xvart.

Back