What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So how big do N. sanguinea grow?

Hey guys got a quick question for you. Sorry it’s been a while, but life's been crazy. So how tall does N. sanguinea grow? I know it depends on lighting and genetics, but on average how big? Cause it’s a wonder how your babies grow, and I’m staring at one right now that is just over 4 feet tall that has taken over my basement window. :0o: Obviously it started to vine, but will it keep growing taller?
Thanks,
Williamg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im guessing it will keep growing until it hits the ceiling and then it will prolly bend towards light or make some basals that will also keep growing until they hit the ceiling :p

You know, I've never grown one, but having seen pictures and heard accounts I think they pretty much just continue growing and growing as long as there is space/light available.

What a lot of people do once a Nepenthes has reached a cumbersome size, is they hack up the main vine into a bunch of cuttings. Your plant would then start over from basals or it would activate a few nodes on the stem that you leave.

Other wise, yeah Nepenthes, and I believe N. sanguinea is no exception, can grow several meters long without hesitation.

Hey guys got a quick question for you. Sorry it’s been a while, but life's been crazy. So how tall does N. Sanguinea grow? I know it depends on lighting and genetics, but on average how big? Cause it’s a wonder how your babies grow, and I’m staring at one right now that is just over 4 feet tall that has taken over my basement window. :0o: Obviously it started to vine, but will it keep growing taller?
Thanks,
Williamg

Yes...They just keep getting bigger....the vines climb trees in the wild. ;)

Hum...... Half of me wants to see it grow into the ceiling, but the other half wants to cut the growth tip off. So if the growing tip is cut off, the plant will start growing from a basil on the stem somewhere?

Hum...... Half of me wants to see it grow into the ceiling, but the other half wants to cut the growth tip off. So if the growing tip is cut off, the plant will start growing from a basil on the stem somewhere?

Yes.

And you can take that growing tip, and root it as a cutting. You could either keep the cutting for yourself to have another N. sanguinea, or you could trade it for another plant to a hobbyist. :)

Usually it will make a new growth point right under the point where the vine was cut off....it pretty much regenerates. The plant will usualy make new basals when the vine gets long enough, especially if the vine droops and touches the floor....that is a surefire way to get basals.

Mine have grown in lower/basal form up to about two feet - any taller and they start vining. My longest vine is about nine feet long at the moment, but would be longer if I hadn't taken a cutting from the top a few months back. They - I think I have two or three different clones - seem to max out at about two feet wide, and among my adult Neps they're the middle ground in terms of size, but definitely one of the fastest growers.
Vines will sometimes sprout new nodes where the leaf joins the stem when cut; non-vining stems will also usually do this. The number of nodes and where they occur (basal nodes or stem nodes) varies with the species and conditions, but like Exo says letting the vine droop lower than root ball will trick the plant into making more basals (and sometimes nodes along the bottom of the stem as well.)
~Joe

Back