What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii striped cultivation?

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
I was just curious as to whether the striped HL N. veitchii can be grown as a housplant...perhaps under lights. I am considering getting one but am reluctant to put it in my HL chamber because I find that most of my intermediate HL neps don't do well with my 65F winter day temps, and from what I hear, striped veitchii is more intermediate than HL.

This time of year My room humidity is about 36-40% and temps are 75-68F....I seem to be able to grow my pasian truncata and N.miranda pretty well in these conditions, just wondering if veitchii will do well too.

Any info will be appreciated.

Probably worth a try, although with that kind of humidity it may not pitcher consistently until it grows up. I have similar household conditions, except my humidity tends to be a little higher here, more like 45%-55%, and my highlanders and intermediates have loved it. Took a big hit to my lowlanders when I moved though. x.x
~Joe

Probably worth a try, although with that kind of humidity it may not pitcher consistently until it grows up. I have similar household conditions, except my humidity tends to be a little higher here, more like 45%-55%, and my highlanders and intermediates have loved it. Took a big hit to my lowlanders when I moved though. x.x
~Joe

Sounds promising...I find that some of my intermediates, like copelandii, are hating my HL chamber right now, so I may be better off trying the houseplant approach if possible....veitchii is a bit expensive to throw in the chilly chamber and pray that it lives. :-))

Anyone else grow this species or know of it's prefferences?

Last edited:
in my experiance it will grow fine in household conditions but if you want it to pitcher you need higher humidity.......

in my experiance it will grow fine in household conditions but if you want it to pitcher you need higher humidity.......

I see...so it would probably be like my truncata the....it pitchers well only in the spring, summer and fall..but still grows fine in the winter.....

And was the information about the HL veitchii prefering warmer temps than true HL also correct?

i dont know if all striped clones are the same.....mines a highland clone but its not picky on temps and seems to grow best as an intermediate......in my experience veitchiis do fine as intermediates as do most neps that live in a wide range of elevations.....

i dont know if all striped clones are the same.....mines a highland clone but its not picky on temps and seems to grow best as an intermediate......in my experience veitchiis do fine as intermediates as do most neps that live in a wide range of elevations.....

So it probably wouldn't appreciate the cool temps in my HL chamber right now (65F day, 49F night)

I guess I'll have to get creative to find a place that it will like.:suspect:

Back