Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nepenthes not pitchering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The results of the coffee experiment, well...

Two weeks passed before there was any visible effect. Then, the plant treated with coffee started producing pitchers. Both plants eventually started pitchering, but the one treated with coffee produced shorter leaves and very large pitchers. This is the coffee-treated specimen:

Edit: Strangely enough, the coffee-treated N. ampullaria is the only one which did not sprout basal pitchers. The stem of this specimen, as seen in the photo, is tilted sidewards. This is supposed to circumvent the flow of auxins and boost basal pitchers, but somehow the exact opposite seems true. Also, the plant decided to sprout a new vine from the middle of its stem! (Look closely to the photo, to the right and immediately underneath the small N. bicalcarata pitcher.) I don't know if this a usual or unusual phenomenon, but it's definitely a first for me.
    Last edited by emre; 08-15-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa.. that tank looks sweet. Can we see all of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    whoa.. that tank looks sweet. Can we see all of it?
    Thank you! Of course. You can check the Terraforums thread, or the photo album I've made:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125504
    http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/Whirlflux/

By the way.. I don't want to litter the forums with too many threads, so I'll post my new problem under this title. For some reason, both my N. bicalcarata have unhealthy leaves. The fresh leaves are OK. There are always one or two leaves perfectly green, but soon the leaves start developing yellow-to-black edges. Is this normal? I don't think so. Does anyone have any idea as to what may be the cause? The system is stable, but I feel too much lighting may be the cause (400 W metal halide) as the plants climb towards the light source. I've fed all Nepenthes with blackfly larvae (originally purchased for my fish) a week ago. Prior to that, I had not fed the plants for two months, since I fear overfeeding more than underfeeding. Is malnourishment the problem maybe? The pitchers themselves are not affected, only the leaves. Photos below:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, to encourage ampullairas to send out basals, just let the vine grow and never cut it back. At a certain length tilt it so that the grow point is almost below the rootball and it will send basals out like mad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astarift View Post
    btw, to encourage ampullairas to send out basals, just let the vine grow and never cut it back. At a certain length tilt it so that the grow point is almost below the rootball and it will send basals out like mad
    Yes, this is what I've heard from other people as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123