Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes not pitchering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes not pitchering

Hi people,

I have a problem with two N. ampullaria (Cantley's Red variant, see below) plants that I've been keeping for several months. They are very much alive, and occasionally sprout new leaves, but they never produce any new pitchers. Usually I see the pitcher-shoot beginning to develop at the tip of the leaf, but then they fail to develop into full-size pitchers and just wither. This is my setting:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125504

The water temperature is a constant 28 C, and the air temperature oscillates between 30-25 C between day and night. I have constant 80-100% moisture and a 400 W metal halide lamp suspended 60 cm. above the plants. The soil was a custom mix of long-fibre sphagnum moss, perlite, sphagnum peat, and large-grained quartz sand. Both plants suffered a good deal of transplantation shock and physical trauma (my cat rolled over them and broke all their pitchers.) However, I have four more Nepenthes (visible below, two more N. ampullaria and two N. bicalcatrata specimens) which have started to develop pitchers months ago. These two have woody stems and are older plants, so I'm assuming this has something to do with their failure to develop pitchers. I have never used fertilisers, and always RO water. (The island is waterproof, so no fish waste gets inside.)

Photos:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.... Judging by their lack of leaves, I would guess that maybe they both need to grow out a few more healthy leaves before they can absorb enough energy to pitcher. Just a guess though.

It never hurts to mist the tendrils as they form either. I've found 9 times out of 10 a pitcher will form if you make sure to mist it daily.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Hmmm.... Judging by their lack of leaves, I would guess that maybe they both need to grow out a few more healthy leaves before they can absorb enough energy to pitcher. Just a guess though.

It never hurts to mist the tendrils as they form either. I've found 9 times out of 10 a pitcher will form if you make sure to mist it daily.
    Okay, I'll mist them daily and see if that helps. They seem to have a very slow metabolism: it takes weeks for a new leaf to fully grow. Somehow they also keep their number of leaves constant, around two or three. I have a theory: they need pitchers to absorb nutrients, and nutrients to grow pitchers, so they cannot break the cycle. I know that fertilisers = no pitchers, but maybe foliar feeding would help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what is happening to my neps (ventricosa) no pitchers produces the little fines but then shrivvles up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say they're not warm enough. IIRC Amps are pretty high up on the lowland scale, and considering your heli isn't melting...I think that'd be the case. Lowlanders typically aren't ones to creep slowly in growth.
    Just my humble suggestion.
    Good luck! Everything else looks great. And I like your taste in fish...bichirs =

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your plants look good, misting the tip of the tendril(basically the pitcher) will help a lot, remember that where they live it rains almost everyday, so the upcoming pitchers must need of water to grow properly!
    Good luck with them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temps and humidity are fine....so why they aren't pitchering is a bit of a mystery to me....I can tell you that the leaf in the final pic has gotten WAY too much light....so it is probably too stressed to pitcher....you may want to shade it a bit.

My ampullaria pitchers well with even less optimal temps and humidity than yours, so my guess is that the plants are just too stressed.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emre View Post
    Okay, I'll mist them daily and see if that helps. They seem to have a very slow metabolism: it takes weeks for a new leaf to fully grow. Somehow they also keep their number of leaves constant, around two or three. I have a theory: they need pitchers to absorb nutrients, and nutrients to grow pitchers, so they cannot break the cycle. I know that fertilisers = no pitchers, but maybe foliar feeding would help?
    That can happen. If a nep is nutrient deprived it may not pitcher. Coffee or foliar feeding may do the trick.

This may be part of the problem, but only 2-3 leaves at a time give me a feeling that something else may be going on here. You may want to do some research on soil, water, light and temp preferences for amps. I have never grown one so can't really help out too much other than to say that 2-3 leaves with no pitchers tells me something is definately wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast