What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help my caps (Nepenthes pitcher lids) are turning black- what do I do?

Well came home today to find 3 of my caps wilting and 2 black/ dead ones,,

what should I do?

everything has been going good foe months and all of a sudden,,one thing i did do was move my little computer fan from one side to the other side of the tank. should I lower it down to plant level?
it has been close to to top.

pics would help---both of the plant and your setup...chances are that the plants are too close to the lights and got cooked once when the fan was moved...

Cooked capensis turns brown imho, not black :p
And i should know, cooking them killed all of my capes XD

i will take a pic right now

they wilted kind and shriveled up the the caps died

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

well the batt is dead so i will take a pic later,

everything has been 100% till I moved the fan, so I will move it back,
should i lower it so it blows over the plants?

Sounds like it might be time for some root cuttings.

yeah i think you should---

I believe he means caps as in pitcher lids, not caps like short for D. capensis.
~Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
yes the lids sorry,,,

my lids are wilting......

lol my bad, I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was in.

Plant nomenclature or descriptive terminology

Another argument for accurate and correct nomenclature.

Apparently the originator of this thread had originally intended to discuss distressed Nepenthes pitcher lids, but didn't actually say so, at least not clearly enough for everyone to understand the intended subject. :0o:

BTW, what is a "batt"?

ok it is not as bad as I thought..it is only on 4 lids, here are a few pics.
I put the fan back where it was and lowered it closer to the pots...ant thoughts?

DSCN8424.jpg

DSCN8425.jpg

DSCN8432.jpg

DSCN8428.jpg

DSCN8427.jpg

Any idea what this is? just showed up in the pot one day?
DSCN8433.jpg

Might be a bacterial or fungal infection (sometimes inspired by water drops remaining on foliage too long), but might just be too hot and/or too low humidity. Might also be the temperature of the water when it contacts the plant's leaves, (too warm or too cold).

How long have you had the plants?
Are they stable or in transition?

Looks like they are adjusting to a new humidity situation due to the fan placement. I've had this same thing wipe out nearly every pitcher in my entire collection by ... yep you guessed it..just moving my fan! They are ridiculously finicky plants imo. You can move it back, but damage has been done and they may go through an 'tantrum phase'.

Whoopse, didn't realize there was a second page to this tread. I was trying to answer stuff that had already been answered.

so I moved it back and down a little closer to the plants and went out for a beer, and one of the lids seemed to perk back up a little..

one other thing, I have been turning my fan off at night - is this a bad thing? I am going to leave it on tonight to see what happens. I am thinking the lack of air flow is bad at night.. I have had them for some time and from day one they have been dooing 100% till i moved the fan to the other side of thew tank.

I keep mine on 24/7. It's a fairly enclosed environment they are in and I really don't want to have to worry about the problems stale, overly humid air can bring. If they have been doing ok thus far, I wouldn't change things, though. I've kept mine on all the time from the start, but if your plants have adjusted to your conditions and then you change them it may require a new adjustment period. But if you are seeing problems you suspect are caused by poor circulation, yeah try leaving it on at night also.

Are the plants new? I've found that empty pitchers (and even refilled ones) will wilt after you get them.

Back