What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jacquelineae, lets see yours

My N. jacquelineae is getting some really nice size to it, and just opened this trap the other day...
Its traps turn deep red with a dark red to black peristome depending on the lighting the plant is getting, this trap will likely get very dark red over the next week or so, but is FINALLY showing a nice peristome, seeing as the plant is pretty large, im surprised it took this long.... its also produced its first basal for me as well.

DSC_0398.jpg

lets see your guys' plants, N. jacquelineae is a gorgeous species, cant get enough of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurray for my favourite nep! If only mine took off...

SK- Great job you're doing there, it's looking fantastic. Keep us updated on the colour.

Here is the last pitcher mine made...it's currently working on three more.

Njacq_10-29-10.jpg

You guys have beautiful plants! I'm only posting mine because you asked. It is currently my least impressive Nepenthes and so far as refused to make a pitcher of any notable size. It also refuses to feel "sturdy".

DSCN5820.jpg

Dex - ive noticed this plant really likes to be over potted, i dont know if its this particular clone that i have or what.... but when i got it and it was in bad shape, it was just like a down hill fight...
gave it a bigger pot and suddenly things started to improve, gave it a few doses of coffee and suddenly its a beast.... mine has quite the serious root system, and seems to really make its best pitchers when they are resting in a bed of sphagnum moss, or something else that raises up the RH...

Hey thanks for the tip. Strangely enough the one tendril that rested in moss was the smallest, it might have been from a small mite outbreak that was on the plant though... I will definitely think about repotting it and resituating it as soon as I can. The plant felt so flimsy that I just assumed that it didn't have much of a root system.

I'll have to start babying it more!

jacq also takes awhile to settle in, but once it starts to take off, it really takes off and becomes a very fast grower...

jacq also takes awhile to settle in, but once it starts to take off, it really takes off and becomes a very fast grower...

Well that's what has puzzled me is that I have had it and spectabilis x aristolochioides for many many months now. Far long enough to be settled in. Just both those plants seem to have flimsy stems, and very small pitchers, and a lack of vigor... .:( They both coincidentally came from a certain east coast nursery that many people don't like...

I'll take your tips soon though, and see if I can't have some more impressive updates.

The color hasnt changed to much but i thought i would share a few more photos....

FebruaryCarnivores2011007.jpg

FebruaryCarnivores2011009.jpg

FebruaryCarnivores2011014.jpg

FebruaryCarnivores2011005.jpg

here is a pic of an older trap, the peristome gets darker than in this pic, but this one was strange haha
P1010033-2.jpg

Hey SK, iare yours potted in pure LFS? I'm thinking of doing this with mine, as i think the media is what isn't letting mine progress.

I find my jacq does best with a live sphag making up the top half of the soil, and the lower half being perlite/bark/charcoal.....seems to keep things well drained....jacq doesn't seem to like dense mixes.

Last edited:
C12, my mix is actually very similar to what Exo just described, only the top 3" of my mix is LFS and the rest is a mix of peat/perlite/lfs/osmunda fiber/sand/ and a bit of charcoal...

Thanks SK, and Exo, I am now convinced my media is too dense for my small jacq, I will try this layering technique!

Keep up the good work with yours :)

Back