User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which nepenthes to start out with and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that any of the plants you listed are a good choice for a beginner. If you get a N. alata, though, make sure it's a real alata and not a ventrata.

I had a N. x Judith Finn for a few years before I traded it off. I never had any trouble getting it to pitcher, but I agree that they are hard to kill. Mine was supposed to be a N. madagascariensis, and I didn't realize it wasn't until it had grown quite a bit. I was under the impression that N. madagascariensis liked to dry out between waterings, and I must confess that I was a little brutal with the plant. It didn't miss a beat and seemed even to thrive under the treatment, developing thick fleshy leaves like a succulent. There are very few pictures of a large mature N. x Judith Finn, but they are absolutely stunning plants when they get big.

Another good choice for you might be a N. x effulgent koto. I had one I was growing as a houseplant, actually several plants in a big pot, which grew like a weed indoors and then grew like a weed outside on my porch in the summer. It was always loaded with long graceful pitchers. (I had to sell it last year because I ran out of room and couldn't bring in another big plant–it was a bushy 4 feet tall!) The pitchers on those are mostly green, but they are utterly beautiful when backlit by the sun.

A word of advice: Put your plants in bigger pots than you might think necessary. Give the roots some room to expand. Happy roots = happy plants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out with sanguinea, ventricosa red, burkei, truncata pasian, and Deroose Alata (some of my first few plants). Sanguinea orange and red always grows well under all sorts of abuse (temps, watering, light) as does ventricosa red (because it may actually be a hybrid with burkei or something like that), and Deroose Alata was ok too. The rest did sorta awful and continued doing poorly even after I had figured out how to grow the likes of macrophylla and hamata and inermis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. sanguinea.

nuff said...

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N.sanguinea.....my first Nepenthes.

Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12