What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help deciding a Nepenthes for my terrarium

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm setting up an indoor terrarium this week and I need help deciding a Nepenthes for it. I have a Nepenthes glabrata and a Nepenthes singalana. Only one can be allowed in the terrarium.

glabrata
Pros: stays compact, dainty appearance, nice colors
Cons: pitchers remain small, not thrilled with the long tendrils

singalana
Pros: cool looking pitchers (love the teeth on them), stays fairly compact for awhile
Cons: will eventually outgrow it's space

So, between these two Nepenthes, which one should I pick?

If you really want it in there for long run, I say glabrata, only because it is so small, and seems to like terrariums very much.

I'm sure you'll grow to love it if you get it. :p

How big is the terrarium?

glabrata can grow....lol....the vine is beastly....

glabrata (the tallest one) in a 20 gallon long:
DSCN3042.JPG

Last edited:
Niether no carnivorous plants should be kept in a little cage with WAY TOO MUCH HUMIDITY how much humidity will it have and is there going to be a lid. There are only a few exceptions with some carnivorous plants that need that humidity. so don't grow them in that terrarium please it's like giveing them back to uh oh the unthinkable LOWE'S/HOME DEPOT/WAL-MART/OTHER PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO GROW CARNIVOROUS PLANTS.

P.S PLEASE DON'T LET THEM BE TOURCHERED PLEASE!

Last edited:
@eou: i grow almost all my plants---in a cage---with 90% humidity during the day, 100% at night. it works if you know what you're doing.

and ps: glabrata IS one of those plants that have high humidity demands, otherwise they dont pitcher.

Niether no carnivorous plants should be kept in a little cage with WAY TOO MUCH HUMIDITY.

No humidity measurements were given, how do you know that he has way too high humidity?

Also, a beginner has the right to start somewhere. Maybe some mistakes will be made, but that's how we learn.

So your saying let him make a mistake?

I would very strongly suggest a Lowlander as you live in Florida! The plant will be much happier and so will you.

All my Nepenthes are in planted terrariums with %80-100 humidity, and they are all pitchering and look great. And they are highlanders. Pretty sure he's gonna be fine :)

Oh, Wolfn, I would like to place a vote for N. singalana. The pitchers on it are great, and toothy. And don't worry about it overgrowing the terrarium for a while, mine seems to grow at a glacial rate. In the last month I have had it, it has put out one leaf, while my N. ventricosa has put out 4 leaves and 2 pitchers (3rd one starting), and the N. spectalabis x aristolochiodes has put out 2 leaves and is inflating two pitchers. All in the same tank.

glabrata grows pretty tall. Mine grew 3' tall before i chopped it and now it has a basal tat is already 1' tall and the old vine is starting another bud (did this budding like 5 times so far...kept cutting it off...cuttings failed though).

You still have no idea what his conditions are other than the size of the tank. Maybe his conditions are great, maybe they're good, or so-so. We've had a couple of people with firsthand experience post that the high humidity you're guessing he has isn't a problem anyway.

If they're not optimal, that doesn't mean the plants will die, and if they're not thriving there's time to recognize that and make adjustments.

You may notice from his original post that he's been a member here for over two and a half years and that he's talking about taking a plant he already has and putting it into a terrarium, not a beginner setting up their first Nepenthes. I'm going to assume that he's reasonably experienced and things are likely to turn out OK. He may be new to terrarium growing with Nepenthes, but he should be able to recognize if it's not doing well and figure out what the problem might be to correct it.

I vote for N. singalana. It seems fairly adaptable in terms of temperatures, and it seems to grow fine in high temperatures. It also grows incredibly slowly and won't outgrow its terrarium for a while.

Back