What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
It's been quite some time since I've done a photo update, and with a nice snowy Saturday upon me, I thought I would take a few shots. With the doldrums of winter upon my plants, pitcher production has been low, and I'm looking forward to summer coming for many reasons. I'm hoping to thin my collection out a bit come springtime, possibly trading some items and giving a few up to the NASC auction.

My setup

IMG_3623.jpg

Lady Pauline is putting on some size! And is drooling

IMG_3624.jpg

Here's something you don't see everyday. N. Mirabilis putting out some huge leaves next to a highland N. Truncata

IMG_3630.jpg

Plus my N. Ampullaria is finally starting to show its distinctive pitcher shape. This one took a while to settle in, but is now growing really well.

IMG_3629.jpg

I have 5-6 seedgrown N. Maxima that I received two years ago when they were smaller than a dime. These have all been very vigorous. This one is the only one with a neat heart shaped peristome. They all have very different traits, some having multiple growth points, large pitchers, good peristome striping etc. This one is my favorite. These are looking to get thinned out this spring. I definitely don't need so many varieties of this plant.

IMG_3637.jpg

I had to throw this picture of poor quality in. It is an N. Rafflesiana I got from Andy a few years ago. It has some great color to it.

IMG_3635.jpg

And finally, although not within the scope of this forum, my pride and joy Cephalotus!

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Nice!!
Not modest at all imho, thats a huge amount of plants and they all look very healthy :)

Beautiful plants DavyJones! What are your temps/humidity conditions in that room of yours?

Great plants! That Lady Pauline has really nice color. Are those just 2' T8 fixtures?

Nice, looks good. That N. trunc reminds me of mine lol it was about that size when I got it... this was a little bit later:
ntruncata.jpg

here it is a few years later after being put into a larger pot and such.
P5020227.JPG

I typically don't oversize pots for many plants... But I think N. truncata is one to do it for. The plant is larger now, but since it's winter it doesn't have any great looking traps. Keep up the good work!
Andrew

What? No sundews?

The light bulbs are just GE daylight bulbs I picked up at Wal-Mart. The stand is billed as having 20 watt fixtures. The room is a bit colder than the house now that it is winter, but I would guess the daytime temp is probably high 60's. Whatever the furnace is pumping out. Humidity right now is 30%.

Andy - I bought that N. Truncata from the same place you did (judging by the red tag in the background) about 3 years ago, and it really hasn't put on much since, much to my disappointment. When I do my big repot in the spring, I think I'll put it into a 4" pot and see what happens.

jimscott - Well, I do have D. Capensis and D. Alicieae, but didn't think they were worth picturing. :) I love sundews, but its so hard to find the interesting ones for sale online. I just ordered a D. Prolifera which should be coming at the end of the month though :-D

Odd, I use typical peat perlite mix for it and it's done wonderfully... Maybe give that a shot, lowland neps seem to do well in it.
Andrew

I use a peat perlite mix as well. It hasn't done poorly. It grows and develops pitchers regularly, it just hasn't put on any significant size since I got it.

---------- Post added 02-06-2011 at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-05-2011 at 11:55 PM ----------

My mistake from before. I had just moved the Hygrometer into the room when it was reading 30. It is actually between 45-50 and right now. Big difference.

Hey! I was drawn to this thread by your avatar, since N. burbidgeae is one of my most recent obsessions. Mine is growing at a snail's pace and I was hoping to see how you grew yours to see how I could improve my own conditions for mine.

But then I saw your N. x 'Lady Pauline,' oh man! It looks really great! Im jealous :)

Beautiful neps! What kind of moss is that in the picture I quoted? I have the same stuff growing in one of my nep's pots. Not sure what it could be.

How do you keep your house hot enough for those lowlanders like the amps and such? Don't you get uncomfortable in such a hot house?

Back