Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small pitchers on Nepenthes ventricosa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pour leftover coffee right on the medium until it runs through the pot, just like when you water. Then flush the pot well with plain water the next time. Don't put it on the leaves or into the pitchers. I usually dilute the coffee by half with water, which has seemed to work well for me. There is no scientifically defined "dosage" and it won't hurt your plants to use it full strength.

It you are considering a regular program, my experience tells me that every 6 to 8 weeks is plenty. I don't do it as a regular practice anymore, but I still find that it's useful for perking up a plant that seems to be "stuck," using a few of applications 3 to 4 weeks apart.

It could be that a very weak coffee solution would benefit nepenthes in regular watering, just like weak solutions of fertilizer do. I haven't ever experimented with that, but I think it would be worth looking into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting my first Nepenthes ventricosa in a few days.. going to keep this in mind in case it ever needs a caffeine fix!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting about using coffee - I'll have to keep that in mind! I've got a few neps, and I've done what Peter D'Amato recommends in his book which is to give them ( yeah, it's nasty! ) crushed snails...it does work! After a month, or so big pitchers on established plants began to pop off and you know I had to look down in there - just a mass of debris at the bottom!
    A Warning...If you have orchids or any other tender plants nearby - once the snail wasn't crushed, and it managed to crawl OUT of the pitcher and land on some beautiful cattleya flowers..
    So before you feed them, smack that sucker on the pavement to break the shell and it should sink like a rock! I know this sounds beyond nasty, but I'm telling you, and I've done that this summer with a big N. maxima superba I saved from a local nursery - the pitchers that followed were huge
    Has anyone else done this or do I need to sign up for therapy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richs - What kind of snails do you use? Do you get the out of the yard or do you buy them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best kind available....those suckers you catch raiding your flower beds and gardens! Revenge is a dish best served wet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I am a bit lae, but I have an update.

Firstly, thanks for all of the advice
    I loved the part about the snails

The last two pitchers seem much more red, and have a more mature pitcher shape. The last pitcher it has made is 1 cm taller than the pitcher before it, and is more "plump".
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12