What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes edwardsiana cultivators

So I'm curious who all is growing this and how. What are your lighting, temps, humidity, air flow, soil mixes, etc.? I'm interested in all your direct experience with this species. I'm putting up my new HL chambers soon and I hope that eventually my number will come up this spring and I'll finally get my N. edwardsiana. I wanna be sure I have everything ready for that day.

Thanks for your input! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one PM from a grower already so if you'd feel better PMing me your thoughts on this that's fine too. I realize it's a sensitive subject people don't always wanna announce willy-nilly.

Lol omg u gttn a eddy???? Trade??

No seriously, I wish I was much help and I am on the waiting list too, so any public knowledge would be great as well.

For some reason when I saw this thread I thought it said cultivars and I thought, " There's no way someone's grown a cultivar already of this plant!"

I got one PM from a grower already so if you'd feel better PMing me your thoughts on this that's fine too. I realize it's a sensitive subject people don't always wanna announce willy-nilly.

Could you at least post what kind of temps and media this "secret agent" is keeping it in?.....otherwise this thread is pretty much useless. :glare:

@swords: if you can keep N. burbidgeae happy, there's a very good chance you can keep N. edwardsiana happy as well since both species are sympatric with one another. so you should test your setup with a N. burbigeae first before putting in the N. edwardsiana.

@swords: if you can keep N. burbidgeae happy, there's a very good chance you can keep N. edwardsiana happy as well since both species are sympatric with one another. so you should test your setup with a N. burbigeae first before putting in the N. edwardsiana.

I actually find that N. burbidgeae grows best as a borderline intermediate...it doesn't seem to care for night temps below 60F.

Could you at least post what kind of temps and media this "secret agent" is keeping it in?.....otherwise this thread is pretty much useless.
LOL Don't get mad at me if people don't wanna announce if they have one or not. I know how people can start bugging you if you have a plant they want. Been through that nonsense before.

The person said they grow theirs next to N. hamata and N. aristolochioides and that seems to be a good position. Their plant is nearing a year in their care and they showed pics of then and now. I had heard these TC plants were kinda weak so I was wondering what the survival rate is on people who have them.

And you guys better start piping up or Exo will be coming after ya! :D

LOL Don't get mad at me if people don't wanna announce if they have one or not. I know how people can start bugging you if you have a plant they want. Been through that nonsense before.

The person said they grow theirs next to N. hamata and N. aristolochioides and that seems to be a good position. Their plant is nearing a year in their care and they showed pics of then and now. I had heard these TC plants were kinda weak so I was wondering what the survival rate is on people who have them.

And you guys better start piping up or Exo will be coming after ya! :D

Yeah..I'm gonna get out my poking stick...... :poke:

So more or less they grow like any of the hardcore HL neps eh?....so they must like it pretty cool I assume.

As long as it's not the level of N. villosa/N. lamii I should be fine. Those frost lovers are too hard to please long term.

N. aristolochioides only pouted for me in summer (slowing down growth no new pitchers) when I couldn't get the nights below 60 and the days were consistently 80-85*F. I've got a new more powerful AC now and will try the dart frog keepers trick of running the lights at night and off during the day on those warmest summer months.

I keep mine in a mix of LFS and charcoal with a little perlite. I keep mine on the north side of my greenhouse with temps around 75-79F in the day and 55F at night. Humidity never drops below 70%.

Here is a quick photo,
2010-11-11_Nepenthes-152.jpg

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

What's that groundcover it's growing with, Jeremiah? Almost looks like corsican mint.
~Joe

I keep mine in a mix of LFS and charcoal with a little perlite. I keep mine on the north side of my greenhouse with temps around 75-79F in the day and 55F at night. Humidity never drops below 70%.

Here is a quick photo,
2010-11-11_Nepenthes-152.jpg

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

That is breathtaking.....you are a Nepethes god to be sure. :hail:

The ground cover is english baby's tears (Soleirolia soleirolii), it does not grow in the pots just on the floor of the GH in the pea gravel. I just grab a hand full when I take photos if I don't like the pot.

See ya,
-Jeremiah-

Thanks Jeremiah - that's one nifty looking N. edwardsiana! How big in diameter is it? Is that one of the seed grown ones from a few years ago or one of the Wistuba clones?

I have something in my Geosesarma sp. crab tank that was sold at a local greenhouse as "English Baby's Tears" but it's way bigger with about fingernail sized leaves... ???

Last edited:
DANG! That's one sweet eddy! I don't own one yet but I do have some macros and hamatas that are happily growing under a T5 bulb in a terrarium surrounded by live sphagnum moss (keeps the humidity high). The terrarium is next to a large window that receives bright, indirect light most of the day. In the summer it will receive some direct sun after 3pm. The window is almost always cracked so the terrarium cools down at night. I'd assume an eddy would be happy with these conditions as well. In the mean time I'm gonna keep holding out for a seed-grown one...

I know this is a pretty old school thread.. but I found it while wandering around google, so thought it would be a good time to bump it.
Considering how many people are now growing edwardsiana and all..

I repotted my SG plant into a mix of LFS, orchid bark, perlite, and charcoal (with live LFS topper) the day it arrived. I grew it in with the HL's under 8 T5HO's, mid 70*s during the day, 60*F at night with 75%-85% constant humidity. During the 4-5 weeks it was in there, it didn't really move a whole lot. Figured it was probably just stalled a little due to the repot.
During week 5, I was reading about how it's more of an intermediate than anything. So.. I decided to move it into my intermediate chamber. It's now growing under 1 ~ 400w HPS bulb with 12 hours of light. Temps max out at 82*F during the day, and never dip below the low 70*s at night. Humidity is always in the mid 90% range. And I must say, the plant has grown more in the past week than it has the entire time in my care. After reading JH's care tips, I wanted to move it back in with the HL's. But decided against it after seeing how well it's doing (and how fast it's growing) in with the intermediates.
However, part of me feels it may be more due to the better quality of light than the actual temps.

Temps max out at 82*F during the day, and never dip below the low 70*s at night.

I think your point at the end probably has the most bearing on its performance. If you plan to keep it that warm, you better feed the hell out of it.

My plant from the same batch of seed has been experiencing nights in the 50s, only once staying above 59 degrees, and seems to prefer its new environment over the last. I also repotted the plant into my own mix and have it 20'' from the lights. This species seems to tolerate higher light levels than villosa and particularly macrophylla.

Leaf jumps are often indicative of favorable conditions:

N. edwardsiana

Last edited:
Mine was growing quickly in the old setup where it got 82 days and 62 nights but now it is getting 72 days and 52 nights plus brighter light levels so its getting some nicer red colors on the leaves. We'll see how it reacts in the long term.

I got nervous about the lack of temp drops at night, and moved it back in with my hamata's. Regardless of how well it was doing..
The leaves on my eddie were turning a deep purple when placed next to the helis. I couldn't tell if that was a good thing or bad thing, so I just played it safe and moved it to an area further from the lights. Which is where my hamata's seem to thrive..
I'll snap a pic here shortly..

Back