What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes pitcher plant inflation- mechanism?

Hi everyone,
I've been searching to no avail as to the mechanism behind Nepenthes pitcher inflation---I wanted to add this info to a presentation I plan to give this Wednesday.

So my understanding at the moment is that a gas is released in the pitcher, allowing it to inflate. Would this gas be CO2 or oxygen? Also, is this gas developing from increased respiration on the inner cells of the pitcher, the entire pitcher, or none of the above?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Aaron

It could be water vapor if the pressure inside is low enough. I'm really not at all sure. Perhaps some of the Nepenthes monographs would be a good place to look.
~Joe

I always thought the pitcher just expanded as the cells grew and mulltiplied, I don't think they inflate like a balloon does.

:0o:Whooo!!! You Just Blow My Mind...

That's the 1st time I've ever heard anything about that
I thought they just grew & inflate was just a term
Didn't relies that there was a gas inside them that actually inflated them
Trip Out

I don't think the gas really inflates it...

I've been wondering the same thing for some time now. There has to be a gas in there, not necessarily makes it inflates but, but what kind of gas is it?

I'm also kind of doubtful that gas is what allows the pitcher to inflate. I think it might actually make more sense for the pressure inside the unopened pitcher to be lower than outside; that way as the tissue grows, it's flexed inwards, making it stronger for holding the pitcher contents. (Think reinforced concrete.) But what's in there is still a good question. I know you can use unopened pitcher fluid as an emergency clean water supply if you're out in the jungle - it's apparently aseptic inside while the pitcher is sealed.
~Joe

The sounds might make you think that, but I think all the air or gas in there does is keep the structural integrity of the pitcher. Unless there is some scientific studies I'll lean more towards cell growth and expansion...

Yeah, I think you're right... if you tore a slit into a developing pitcher, I'd presume that the pitcher wouldn't halt in growth or become dramatically deformed? I forgot to put this response in the last post ;)
But as has been mentioned, there at least has to be enough gas released to put the pressure near equilibrium with the pressure outside of the pitcher, or else it would seem that the pitcher wouldn't be able expand like that if the negative pressure became too large from the cell expansion. I guess the type of gas doesn't really matter, but I was just curious.

...and yeah, they go a bit overboard with their sounds for Nepenthes lid opening and Dionaea traps snapping shut, lol.

Last edited:
Back