What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I have my Facts Straight?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I want to make sure I have all my info straight. So here is a picture of my plant in question:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/5426915028/

No those are 2 seperate plants that were broken apart when I first purchased it. The larger plant now has a very small green node beginning to grow out the base of the plant.
My questions:
Is the larger plant in what as known as the vining stage? And the smaller in the rosette stage? IS the node a basal cutting, and is the basal normally removed and repotted when it gets larger? Very confused on which parts get cut, which are left, etc.

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

1) No. 2) Yes. 3) Yes 4) Yes.

ive never removed basals, i like nep bushes.

Hugh jass hahah

My senior yea in high school me and my best friend got Hugh Jass put on the homecoming ballot. We had collected all the signatures for ourselves, then just erased our name and wrote in that.

I wasn't a delinquent, I just made sure I enjoyed school.

Also, what is the difference between my larger plant and a vining plant?

Thanks again!

Once its vining the space between new leaves becomes way bigger.
The difference isnt always easy to see, some of my plants look like they may be vining but theyre just not getting enough light atm.
Some plants always look like they are vining imho (inermis)

Yes like the others said.

The main thing about vining Nepenthes is that the distance between where the leaves join the stem will be much further apart. In a rosetting Nepenthes like yours, the leaves are still growing one right on top of the other more or less. Once it starts vining you will know as the plant really starts reaching out and the distance between leaf nodes is significantly and visibly much larger.

Back