User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nepenthes ramispina curling leaves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Mr. Paroubek - I think I've got it... So, I'm going to keep a vigilant eye on the leaves of the bagged Nepenthes ramispina. If the situation continues to deteriorate, and the leaves do not rehydrate, I'll take cut from the healthiest (top) portion of the N. ramispina and check for dead tissue in the center of the stem. If the stem looks green and healthy throughout, I'll attempt to root the cutting...

(If the stem is brown in the center, it means that a pathogen has already done its damage to the internal tissues of the plant stem, and water isn't being transported from the roots to the rest of the plant, and it's probably a goner...)

*whew* My fingers are crossed, thanks again for the advice! Will update shortly...

@ Mr. Clemens - Absolutely, I intend to follow the advice. This is why I love terraforums; I learn so much from everyone on here...

I've been using bottled distilled water and collected rainwater (both measured ~10PPM) on this N. ramispina since I got it in October. The thriving N. ramispina I have at work has only been watered using bottled distilled water. Both plants have that waxy coating, the only qualitative difference between their leaves (when my plant was healthier) was that the artificially lit N. rampispina at my job had redder leaves...

Based on this I had assumed that the waxy coating was a natural development of the leaves.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-27-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: N. A. - addition of genus to plant name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed you got it ;>

Your water is fine. You are correct the waxy coating is a natural development. It is more obvious on the stressed plant because the coating is flaking off as the leaf tissue has shrunk while the waxy coating has not.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, leaf cuticle becoming noticeable due to lose of turgor, not mineral deposits. Certainly not a good sign. Hoping to hear better news of this plant in the future.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda looks like you've got some root rot going on there. Good idea to repot with LFS and orchid bark. Some pumice (or perlite) and charcoal in that mix might not hurt either. Also, make sure your Neps aren't sitting in water. I've encountered problems in the past by letting that happen. You may want to add some supplemental artificial lighting to compensate for the lack of light in the winter. Too much water and not enough light is a bad combo for any Nep. I deal with less light coming through my window in the winter too. I've added some supplemental fluorescent light and watered less often and so far haven't had any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid the news is not fantastic...

To my untrained eye, bagging the Nep has certainly helped to slow the damage, but the sadly the damage has not reversed... In fact, it's seems (to me, at least) to be proceeding, albeit more slowly...

It's a bit late tonight, and I just got home, but I'm probably going to unbag it, try to cut it at a point along its stem, treat the end with a rooting hormone with fungicide, repot it in moist media, rebag it and place it under the artificial lights that I've had previous success with for rooting cuttings...

This is all, of course, contingent upon the stem not being already rotted through...

My continued thanks again to all for the advice and comments, I'll try to follow it all as best I can...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ramispina is going thru the same thing when trying to accumulate it to life outside of a bag even doing it slowly it still seems to curl its leaves and feel droopy and fragile even the pitchers are deflated and soft now idk why the ramispina is tge only one taking it so hard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123