What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Critique My Planting Plans?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I received my Nepenthes truncata seed in the mail today, it was harvested fresh on the 20th. I plan on grinding up LFS, microwaving it before potting it up, and putting in in a bout 4 inch pots.
I then plan on sprinkling the seed on top, and misting it down to create good contact with the soil. I will put the pots in an open topped, sterilite container below my fluorescent lighting.
I will mist it every few days to keep moist.

Any other suggestions?

One other question I do have is how many seed should I put per container? All 50? 10?

Thanks!
Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok....

Nuking the Lfs may cause it to break down into mush...so it might not be wise, but I can't say for sure.

As far as the setup is concerned, it sounds good, but you may need to use a covered setup to hold in humidity...my experience with Nepenthes seeds has shown that they need humidity 0f 75% or more to do well.

Number of seed will depend on the size of the container...a goot rule of thumb I use is 10 seeds per 4in pot.....makes the seedlings easy to seperate when the time comes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably put a sheet of seran over them then. I had read that bags over them might block light, but seran wrap sohuld allow ~90% of the light through.

i have always had more luck with germination in an uncovered container, with covered containers you get no air circulation which ends up causing mold or other fungal issues..

So I used my blender to chop all the moss up, microwaved it, and sprinkled about 60 seeds over 2 pots, 1 covered one uncovered. They are both sitting under lights but outside of my sterilite container. Do I need to water these any besides just misting every couple of days? Also, how moist should these be kept? And if the 70 degree appartment temp good?

THANKS!

Back