What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes jacquelineae care

i was thinking about getting a N. jacquelineae, but first i need to know, will this species do fine in intermidiate conditions or is it an ultra highlander?

Thanks in advance
Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
N. jacquelineae is an obligate highland plant (cool, humid and bright). It will suffer quickly in improper conditions. I would reccomend N. jamban if you don't have the cool part of the HL conditions. It's rather similar looking to N. jacquelineae but also far more lenient temp wise for me (although 3x more expensive).

It is a true HL plant that does best with high humidity and moderate light levels. I find that it does best in a substrate made of two layers, a Live sphagnum moss top layer, and a bottom layer made of perlite/orchid bark/ charcoal.

Exactly, the three times more thing, that kind of draws me away from it, im not really ready to spend that kind of money.

Thanks a lot for your input swords.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Thanks to you too exo.

expect up to half a year before the plant is able to adjust itself---especially if purchased during the late spring/early summer.

I have had mine for about two months. I was expecting it to be finicky, but it never skipped a beat. It started growing immediately and just opened a pitcher. It's growing in room humidity under fluorescent lighting and temperatures ranging from the low 70's to high 50's. It does not seem to be any more difficult than the average highlander.

I would reccomend N. jamban if you don't have the cool part of the HL conditions. It's rather similar looking to N. jacquelineae but also far more lenient temp wise for me (although 3x more expensive).
I have also heard that N. jamban is less temperamental in somewhat higher temperatures - however, that has not been my experience. I have N. jamban & N. aristolochioides growing in the same tank in my basement and N. jamban suffered even more last summer than N. aristolochioides. While the N. aristolochioides just slowed or stopped growth, N. jamban allowed all existing pitchers to rot, stopped making new pitchers and new leaves were a fraction of the size of those made in the winter. If the temps had continued much longer, I felt I might lose the plant.

I do not grow N. jacquelineae, so I cannot make any comparisons with it. ???

Thank you all for your experiences, and advice

Both N. jacquelineae and N. jamban have given me problems. They both did well the first few months I had them, then went into suspended animation for nearly a year, and have never recovered fully from it. Nepenthes are weird that way. Given the same conditions, they may do well under one grower's care and not so under another. It's like a roll of the dice haha.

I agree...N. jacquelineae and jamban are pretty good plants in my conditions. The jacq does seem to be more sensitive to heat and it started showing heat stress (smaller leaves...yellow/red fungal pathogen dots on leaves (see old leaf in pic)...no pitchers) due to 3 months of over 90F during day time.

But now...they are both thriving. Growing very well. You can see the jamban on the left and two jacq pitchers.

5400536480_5b0b945057.jpg

Last edited:
...and it started showing heat stress (smaller leaves...yellow/red fungal pathogen dots on leaves (see old leaf in pic)...no pitchers) due to 3 months of over 90F during day time.
Wow!! Mine (jamban) never saw temps much above 80*F during the heat of the summer and it acted like it was sitting in the middle of South Beach. :0o:

I think it depends on how long it faces those adverse conditions. I did manage to sometimes drop night temps using an air conditioner to maybe 50F by directly venting the entire 5000BTU AC into the tank. But some plants actually found that sudden temp decrease actually damaging. Anyways, if the temp increase is gradual and if it isn't for too long, they should do fine...and if anything should slow down or show the signs I am talking about. But...if the growth point starts to die off, thats a bad sign.

Back